Pre-AOS TIs--And they say RPN is complicated!?
02-19-2016, 09:54 AM
RE: Pre-AOS TIs--And they say RPN is complicated!?
(02-18-2016 09:59 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi all.

In TI's sales literature (especially with the SR-52/56 literature), TI mentions about their choice of AOS instead of RPN. Even as I have my eldest sister's SR-50, lookng at its parentheses-lacking keyboard, I'm still stunned, befuddled, and perplexed that, although pre-AOS, TI's entry system was an improvement over RPN.

Do any of you here see any logic (yes, pun intended), common sense, or intuitiveness to problem solving on an SR-50/50A, 51/51A?

I didn't own an RPN/L machine for many years - HP's prices were way too high - and so I grew up with algebraic entry. To me, calculators were miracles and if I had to jump through a hoop or two to get to the correct answer, perhaps storing or even writing down intermediate results, it was still far far faster than the alternative. Algebraic /AOS works fine if you are used to it!

Also, I can see the marketing appeal of a machine that lets you type "2 + 2 =" and has "4" appear in the display, rather than "2 ENTER 2 +". If a product is aimed at home users or students then the marketing advantages of algebraic cannot be overlooked. Even HP succumbed eventually, I imagine for this reason!

Which do I like best today? I like what the Prime offers - algebraic, with the ability to scroll back, retrieve previous results and edit previous entries. My Prime is not set to RPN mode. Sorry!

Nigel (UK)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pre-AOS TIs--And they say RPN is complicated!? - Nigel (UK) - 02-19-2016 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)