[WP 34S] Ideas for improving unit conversions
02-03-2014, 09:29 AM
RE: [WP 34S] Ideas for improving unit conversions
(02-03-2014 12:27 AM)Bit Wrote:  One thing is obviously wrong: The calculation given in the documentation for fathom is *1.8288 (which is the multiplier for the international fathom), whereas the WP 34S uses 1.828804 (which is the U.S. survey foot based fathom).

What I consider not only unclear but misleading is the inconsistency in how the 'US' notation is employed. With gallons and fluid ounces it designates the units that are commonly used in the United States but with feet and acres it refers to the rather obscure concept of survey units. The documentation does little to avoid the misunderstanding because I bet most people never heard of U.S. survey units and would (logically) assume that it simply means U.S. units. That's why I suggested abandoning the 'US' postfix for U.S. survey units.

Thanks for the report. We'll either correct that fathom value or abandon it.

With respect to the U.S. survey foot (as it's called in English Wikipedia): People who've never heard of something shouldn't use it IMHO. Wink And assuming something being logical in the Imperial bunch of units may be far off. Within CONV, OTOH, we have gal[UK] and gal[US], floz[UK] and floz[US], but only feet[US] and acres[US]. Hmmh, there must be a difference, isn't it? Wink Anyway, since nobody else came across that naming yet, we'll probably put it on the wait list.

With respect to cubic feet, we'll discuss their fate within the team.

d:-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [WP 34S] Ideas for improving unit conversions - walter b - 02-03-2014 09:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)