HP-41 Question about transferring ROMs from HP-IL tape to NoV-64
04-17-2016, 09:02 PM
RE: HP-41 Question about transferring ROMs from HP-IL tape to NoV-64
Solved it! Rather than load the MLDL-OS from my tape I realised it is already in the Clonix directory under the name ESMLOS7B.ROM. I loaded this one direct into NoV-64 and GETROM works fine - so there was something corrupt with the one I had on tape (maybe I never used it from tape in the 1980s because I had it in a real ROM).

All my other ROMs on the tape seem to load perfectly, so I'll start converting them to ".ROM" format and transferring them to my Mac to preserve them should the tape fail, tidy up the handwritten notes (I couldn't afford a printer for the HP41 which was my only computer at the time) and publish them.

Maybe of most interest to Geoff Q will be my alternative LAT/LONG input routine I wrote for Colin Crowther to make sure that he got entry of the positive and negative values the correct way around for entry into the Nav Pac whilst flying 747s. (Did anyone ever wonder what happened in Datafile V9N3P13? Colin ghost wrote the article but only the first page got published).

The retro m-coders might like my m-code debugger, but that does require a bit of work to get the notes typed up. Unless I can find the floppy disk containing my degree dissertation, find something capable of reading the disk and figure out a way to get the ancient word processing file into a format we can all read! IIRC original IBM PC (pre-Windows) running perhaps original Word or Word Perfect. Maybe OCR of the one and only dot matrix printout of the notes.

Digital archaeology makes you realise how things have moved on and how we need to be careful about keeping archived material in a format that can be read as tech generations move on.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-41 Question about transferring ROMs from HP-IL tape to NoV-64 - Mark Power - 04-17-2016 09:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)