HP portable / HP 110 Service Manual
05-27-2016, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2016 02:21 PM by Martin Hepperle.)
RE: HP portable / HP 110 Service Manual
(05-20-2016 07:28 AM)HeLa Wrote:  ...
I have replaced the batterie but the unit must start even with low batterie with the mains adapter plugged in. There is nothing on the screen but I can hear a click when i try to start the computer.
Thanks herbert

Herbert,

about 2 years ago I also received a non-working 110. The Service manual seems to be unavailable (if one exists at all). I also heard that faint click sound, but had no display at first.

I then opened the unit and reseated all ribbon cable connectors several times. I was not able to get the machine up, but after reseating the connectors and switching / resetting the machine several times I was at least able to get a display and enter the self-test menu.
(check the manual for the contrast keys and how to enter the self test).

All self tests ran o.k. except for the RAM test, which gave me an error code. I was NOT able to link the error code to a specific RAM chip (or RAM controller or...).
The error code is similar to the codes of the HP 110 Portable Plus, but there it would indicate a ROM error - however, the ROM test came out fine on the 110. HP obviously changed the error coding scheme from the 110 to the Portable Plus.
I have procured some RAM chips but have not yet invested the time to replace chips - maybe I try just clamping a chip piggy-back onto installed chips in the hope to find the troublemaker.

So my machine is still in a non-functional condition, but I at least have an idea what could be wrong.

Good luck,
Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP portable / HP 110 Service Manual - HeLa - 05-19-2016, 06:23 AM
RE: HP portable / HP 110 Service Manual - Martin Hepperle - 05-27-2016 10:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)