Solved: what is wrong with this LatLong->Distance code? A Trigonometry "feature".
10-13-2016, 08:58 PM
RE: Can you see what is wrong with this LatLong->Distance code? Trigonometry bug?
I guess where I was wrong in thinking it should "just work", is I wasn't thinking of the DMS format as including a unit. After all, it was degrees, not underscore degrees to be consistent with other units - and the same syntax could also have been hours.

I was thinking of it as more of just a different presentation of a decimal number, and assuming the calculation would be unchanged. Like 1.5 = 1,5.. Like decimal 5 = hex 5.

Seeing your other examples with units, I see it's not as simple as keeping the presentation and calculation separate.

As it stands, this issue seems likely to catch people out unless they are aware of it and code around it. But I am not sure what could or should be changed to make things clearer.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can you see what is wrong with this LatLong->Distance code? Trigonometry bug? - StephenG1CMZ - 10-13-2016 08:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)