Alternative WP34S flashing using Arduino
02-19-2014, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2014 12:48 PM by adamkov.)
Alternative WP34S flashing using Arduino
Hi folks,

I'm new here and have just registered to share this method of flashing the WP34S firmware to a stock HP30B.
It utilizes the onboard FTDI serial chip of the Arduino platform as a communication interface between a PC and the calculator hardware. The Atmel microcontroller on the Arduino is disabled by hanging in RESET state to get out of the way of communication. You still need your Windows PC running MySamba software for the flashing.

Although there is no need for a special serial cable, you have to have a few wires, alligator clips and some dexterity to keep them in place during flashing.

Arduino's 3.3V line will be used to power the calculator and to provide common ground for serial communication. The HP30B handles 3.3V well but if you are overly cautious just use batteries. In that case don't forget to provide GND for serial communication.

Here is the link to the how-to (pdf version): http://goo.gl/ZPCUW0
HTML version can be found below in this thread.

In this tutorial I used a cheap clone of the Arduino Nano V3 which works just fine but it is recommended to buy the real thing.

Adam

DISCLAIMER: I don't claim the invention of this method. I just wanted to share it in a step-by-step easy to follow manner.

Update: edited to clarify the role of Arduino
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Alternative WP34S flashing using Arduino - adamkov - 02-19-2014 05:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)