Alternative WP34S flashing using Arduino
02-20-2014, 05:17 PM
RE: Alternative WP34S flashing using Arduino
Let me get this straightened out. I never stated this is a new or revolutionary method of flashing. When I found out about the WP34S project I just wanted to have a physical WP34S calculator. Realizing only the two well known ways to flash the WP34S firmware to my HP30B almost deterred me entirely from getting engaged.

As far as I understand picking up an official HP programming cable from forum members is virtually out of question nowadays. You may not know but in this part of the world obtaining pogo pins is not easy. Investing half a days work to create a single use cable from expensive materials was even less to my liking.

On the other hand I'm a electronics tinkerer having a lot of components at my disposal. Including Atmel microcontrollers and Arduino modules. In my humble opinion there might be similar DIY savvy people in the target audience of WP34S.

An Arduino is a very multipurpose device and can be reused many times in many ways. This is just a method of utilizing the onboard serial chip as a USB-serial converter to interface the calculator as you pointed out correctly. After flashing the calculator one can still use the Arduino in any other project - not a single cent wasted. Although you are right about sourcing the Arduino - I should have suggested to purchase it from a more reputable vendor.

By no means I had the intention to harm anyone's business. Everyone has the right to buy whatever they want. I'm just sharing knowledge here for free. I created the document to help out fellow wannabe WP34S owners finding alternative ways to flash their HP30Bs.

Regarding Harald Pott's USB boards: I might have overlooked but couldn't find an apparent way to buy one opposed to Eric's overlay which I have ordered and using happily. (Thanks Eric)

Bottom line: I just wanted to share a relatively easy not too labor intensive salvageable way of flashing the firmware to the calculator using cheap parts. In case this offends anyone's business feel free to delete my posts/thread.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alternative WP34S flashing using Arduino - adamkov - 02-20-2014 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)