Something like an OmniBook 300, but smaller?
12-08-2016, 12:19 PM
RE: Something like an OmniBook 300, but smaller?
(12-08-2016 10:59 AM)Alejandro Paz(Germany) Wrote:  I was wondering if your need for Access was that important, I mean that it HAS to be access. If not, you could look into FoxPro, which at the time (~95) could also run in DOS. But I'm not sure if it runs on a 186 (200LX).

It wouldn't strictly have to be Access, but as that's what I'm most familiar with in terms of rapid database development platforms, I'd be up and running the quickest for that particular usage.

I've been looking at various DOS database tools to see what's most appropriate for the 200LX. DataPerfect is a really good fit for the hardware, but it's got some quirks that make me a little nervous. (e.g. you can't make structural changes if there's any data in a panel/table, and I'm not sure how well it allows you to do mass updates for refactoring or normalizing).

I'll probably take a look at FoxPro 2.0 for DOS to see how well it holds up. The big hangup for a lot of these old tools is how much good documentation is readily available, and DataPerfect is at least in pretty good shape there.

If my old EeePC 701 were a bit smaller and had better battery life, I'd probably just throw WinXP and Access 2002 on there and be done with it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Something like an OmniBook 300, but smaller? - Dave Britten - 12-08-2016 12:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)