Something like an OmniBook 300, but smaller?
12-09-2016, 03:05 AM
RE: Something like an OmniBook 300, but smaller?
(12-09-2016 02:39 AM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  I was initially worried that it would try to automatically update. But I haven't had it try to update at all. Not sure if I turned something off or not. But I make sure I never intentionally do a System Update.

I've been tempted to buy a 2013 version, since I understand that it is somewhat faster than the 2012 version. I just wish Google would bring out the next version tablet. I love the Nexus 7 and it's form factor. I had a 10 inch Acer Tablet, but found that I didn't like that size tablet. Even though I could do more with it due to the larger screen, I just never enjoyed holding it for long periods of time.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

Yeah, Android tablets are kind of a dying breed at this point, and the rest of the tablet market isn't faring hugely better either; seems like the iPad is the only one hanging on. DOSBox isn't really a feasible option for my iPad, though, and I've yet to see a really good rapid-application-development tool for building databases on an iOS device. There are some good but special purpose database apps, and some general purpose ones that are a combination of too light on features, or very unpolished.

I just reflashed with Cyanogenmod 11, which is based on 4.4.4. That should be a little slimmer, and give control over the auto-update facilities. I have to grab the basic Google Play/etc. package and install it tomorrow and we'll see how it fares. It was a pretty snappy tablet back when I got it, but every major OS release seemed to slow it down more and more. If CM 11 is still too sluggish, I can always try 10.2, but it looks like that version isn't patched against things like the POODLE SSL vulnderability.

I've used a mouse and keyboard with it via bluetooth and USB OTG (bluetooth mice always seem to interfere with bluetooth keyboard response for some reason, so I tend to go wired), so this could potentially work well.

If this doesn't cut it, I'll probably try to hunt down an 8-inch Win10 device.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Something like an OmniBook 300, but smaller? - Dave Britten - 12-09-2016 03:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)