OmniBook 300/425 - Freeing up conventional memory
12-31-2016, 11:44 AM
RE: OmniBook 300/425 - Freeing up conventional memory
(12-30-2016 10:24 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  It does let you adjust how much conventional memory and XMS a program gets, however, which made me think it's at least doing some kind of protected and/or virtual mode tricks.
I see, but this just requires hooking the corresponding API calls and placing a filter onto them.
Quote:I'll have to keep an eye on the OB's disk activity indicators to see if it looks like it's swapping to disk, and if I can find the swap files laying around somewhere.
The .SWP swap files should be either in the %TEMP% directory or in the directory specified in the %DOSSHELL%\DOSSHELL.INI file ([savestate] swapdisk=filepath). Probably hidden.

The diagnostic tool MFT (from QEMM) had a nice feature of showing handles in use - this could be used to see if DOSSHELL allocates handles for XMS or EMS swapping (instead of dealing only with handles opened by the applications). Not sure, if MSD provides something similar.

Quote:And perhaps it has a couple different modes of operation depending on what sort of CPU you have; I'll have to see what it does on my 200 LX.
DOSSHELL has no CPU-specific modes, there should be no significant differences.

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OmniBook 300/425 - Freeing up conventional memory - matthiaspaul - 12-31-2016 11:44 AM
Software Carousel - striegel - 12-31-2016, 10:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)