Does anyone have an HP-46 printer for parts?
05-23-2017, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 03:29 PM by Duane Hess.)
RE: Does anyone have an HP-46 printer for parts?
I babble too much for my own good.

Any manual I've seen on the printer was here on the museum, the 46 service manual and another service manual:
HP-46 HP-81 HP 9805 Updating Revision Repair of Printer Assembly
I'm sure you know of them.

You have a point on finer adjustment. i.e. what is it? adjustment or repair. A portion of items from the 2nd manual which refer to some non-mechanical adjustments/settings are:

- motor speed bad
- On page 68 of the latter manual indicates to replace the magnet detector if a timing signal is out of bounds.
- Elsewhere in the manual it refers to input trigger pulses, which I take it, refers to the signal to fire a hammer (engage magnent). If those are bad it suggests to "adjust the driving control circuit". Ya, what does that mean? The driving circuit, in my poor understanding, is on the motherboard. What is there to adjust other than replacing parts?

I'm also interested in how all this works. Generally, my previous posts were to see how people react to them as opposed to suggesting a solution. i.e. people have/do not have similar observations to my own.

I have close to no background in electronics. So let me make something up:
Suppose the word CLEAR prints consistently each time you press the clear key. However, you have a number where '1' is in the 'E' column, but '1' does not print. What would that mean?
- certainly the mechanical mechanism is not bound up in that column
- electronic signals get to the magnet or the 'E' would not print
Suppose all symbols in that column print except '1'. Seems that would be another issue. Maybe my imaginary situations are not possible to exist. Don't know if they are anywheres close to your printer's behavior or not.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does anyone have an HP-46 printer for parts? - Duane Hess - 05-23-2017 03:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)