Bricked my WP-34S
03-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Bricked my WP-34S
So I built my WP-34S back in November. Bought a USB board along with crystal from Harald, installed it and flashed it and it worked perfectly first time. No drama. Very happy with myself.

After a few months of flawless service, a couple of weeks back, I got a notification that the latest version of the firmware had been released. Yep, I thought, let's upgrade!

While it's a little embarrassing, I will admit to having been distracted and tired when I sat down to re-flash my calculator, and therefore I can't say with 100% certainty exactly what I did that caused things to go wrong. Frankly, I wasn't particularly paranoid about it at the time, as I just expected it to all work. Bottom line: I've bricked it. It's (for all intents and purposes) dead.

I have at my disposal an ASUS Windows 7 notebook and a Macbook Pro running Mavericks. I have downloaded and successfully installed all the right drivers on both machines but neither machine can see the calculator. In the case of the Windows box, Windows recognises the device and in device manager you can see a USB serial port (COM7) and the driver is the FTDI driver. mySamba cheerfully suggests COM7 but then says "Error: unable to connect". This is despite going through the steps B3-B9 on p. 168 of the manual a dozen times.

In the case of the Macbook Pro, wp34sflash launches but can only see my bluetooth devices and iPhone.

The batteries have been removed and checked (2.95V+ each).

It seems to me there are four possibilities: the cable, the USB board, the calculator, or drivers.

I can use the same cable to access my kindle (charge it and see content) so I figure the cable's OK.

Getting a new board from Harald or a new calculator are possibilities, but these seem unlikely to be the problem. It was all working couple of days ago. I think this is more a driver issue. Thoughts? I would be grateful for any help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Bricked my WP-34S - andrewtune - 03-02-2014 10:27 PM
RE: Bricked my WP-34S - Sanjeev Visvanatha - 03-02-2014, 11:02 PM
RE: Bricked my WP-34S - BarryMead - 03-03-2014, 01:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)