Free42 - LOCAT won't work on iPhone
05-07-2017, 02:59 PM
RE: Free42 - LOCAT won't work on iPhone
Here's what I found so far: when Free42 gets into this bad state, the GPS is still working (as indicated by the little arrow in the status bar), and the system log indicates that it is trying to deliver location updates, but somehow the callback that receives these updates is never called. There is an interesting error message in the system log, "Location callback block not executed in a timely manner!". Searching for this message, unfortunately, yields no results, neither on Google nor on the Apple Developer Forums, so apparently I have found a way to screw this up that is so stupid that literally no one else has this problem. :-)

I did notice a couple of things: the bad state appears to be triggered when the location service is started, i.e. LOCAT is called while the arrow is *not* in the location bar, when LOCAT is called from a program. Call it from the FCN or CUSTOM menu and it's fine.

Also, you can get out of the bad state by killing Free42, waiting for the arrow to go away, and then restarting Free42 (and calling LOCAT *not* from a program).

The bad state only depends on the context of the *first* LOCAT call, apparently; once things are running in a good state, they stay that way even if you call LOCAT from a program, and when they're in a bad state, they stay that way even if you call LOCAT from the keyboard.

Am I on the right track? Does this match what others are seeing?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Free42 - LOCAT won't work on iPhone - Thomas Okken - 05-07-2017 02:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)