HP 29 GPS: the view from 9865 meters!
06-01-2017, 08:29 PM
RE: HP 29 GPS: the view from
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for these sensational photos! An HP-29E on a flight deck over Alaska, a calculator designed 40 years ago, capable of communicating with modern satellites, the only LED bubble display worldwide which shows real time GPS positions, and can handle them in a running programm, the speed of 850 km/h, the height above ground nearly 10000 m, this is beyond anything my own GPS calculator will ever display. And I never got more than 8 satellites on earths surface, another superlative.

Now the only thing missing is the southern hemisphere, no HP-29E or HP-25E GPS yet showed a latitude with "S" (aka 5) in the display.

Only superlative, which I could beat you so far is my GPS position in february in northern norway.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-782...l#pid69138

I'm glad I choose the most sensitive GPS module which I could find of this size.
But why didn't you get satellite conatct on the first fly? Perhaps because you started the calculator, while already flying with high speed? Or the place inside the airplane was different and somehow shielded. But it worked perfectly on the second flight.

Who will be the first, who takes an HP-29E or an HP-67E GPS into space, like in the times of the the Apollo-Soyuz project in 1976. I think they had an HP-65 for doing astronomical/navigational calculations. Does the GPS system show altitudes above 100 km ?

I'm really happy about the success!

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 29 GPS: the view from - PANAMATIK - 06-01-2017 08:29 PM
RE: HP 29 GPS: the view from - Paul Dale - 06-01-2017, 10:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)