Anybody know where to find @BASE for Lotus?
08-18-2019, 08:58 PM
RE: Anybody know where to find @BASE for Lotus?
(08-18-2019 08:12 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Thanks Bill, mostly I'm just wondering if there's software to streamline the process - stick a page on the scanner, click a button, stick the next page on the scanner, click a button, etc. then get a PDF at the end of the process, with consistent page sizes. The default Windows Fax and Scan seems optimized for photos or short documents.

I'm glad you mentioned binding removal, though, because I hadn't through of that. The photos in the listing show some kind of wire binding for the manual, so I'll see if it's something easily removed. My scanner (a small HP OfficeJet MFP) has a sheet feeder, though I don't know if it's double-sided. If it's not, maybe the big MFP at the office would be able to tackle it; I know that thing can send scan results by email as PDF files.

If it has the wire binding, you should be able to straighten the end and then twist the wire out. Then you can scan and then re-twist the wire back on the manual.

The best document scanners have straight thru paper feeders. The one I use is the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500. Fantastic scanner that does both sides at once.

If you wish, I could scan it for you. Just let me know.

If you do scan it using a sheet feeder, I recommend using the highest quality which should result in a slower pass through the feed mechanism. A slower pass is less likely to jam or tear the paper you are scanning. Especially if the sheets are thin or have some repaired tears in them. Slower pass through the feed is better. And straight thru feeder is better than a curved paper pass. And of course both sides at one scan - stay away from scanners that does one side then pulls the page back in to scan the second side. These will definitely jam sooner or later and tear the original.

Also, if the sheets have holes in them, then feed the straight edge in first with the holes last. That way the mechanism has a full edge to grip and pull the sheet into the feeder. Many times, the edge with the holes have tears at the holes.

Set the scan software up to scan to PDF and to NOT auto rotate the scans. Most software will either auto-crop to the scanned edges or you can set it a fixed sheet size. I usually use the auto-crop feature. If you scan to a fixed sheet size, sometime you will get discoloration around the edges of the scans. Auto-crop may result in slightly smaller, odd-ball size sheet (8.45" x 10.98" instead of exactly 8.5 x 11), but for PDF it really doesn't matter what the actual sheet size it.

You will need to use a PDF program to combine the various pdf files and possibly rotate pages after the scanning.

Bill
WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anybody know where to find @BASE for Lotus? - Bill (Smithville NJ) - 08-18-2019 08:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)