[34S] Time diff. STO.00 vs. STO 00 ?
03-14-2014, 09:09 PM
RE: [34S] Time diff. STO.00 vs. STO 00 ?
(03-14-2014 05:34 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 05:01 PM)Sikuq Wrote:  PS: Pauli, is there any way you can test how many loops it takes to calculate the square-root of say 1234567 on the 34S? Is the step length fixed or does it reduce itself closer to convergence (i.e. sign change)? And how did it calculate the initial guess?

You might want to have a look at how to calculate the fast inverse square root. But I must admit that I have no idea whether this is used in the WP-34s.
The algorithm used in most HP calculators is similar to the digit-by-digit method you might have learned at school but uses only addition and shifts. Thus just counting the amount of loops isn't enough if you are interested in performance.

Kind regards
Thomas

Thomas,

I thought I had posted a response to you earlier but it appears to have been previewed only - sorry.

Thank you for your two posts and the code which I am studying. The inverse function was entirely new to me.

I am curious as to just why the loop-cycles are not a measure of efficiency given the same accuracy? As I wrote to Pauli I am astounded to learn that the 34S and other computers use the standard Newton tangent way to solve roots, a way I understand is prominent.

Zurich I read was voted the most livable city, lucky you.

Thanks.

- Sikuq
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [34S] Time diff. STO.00 vs. STO 00 ? - Sikuq - 03-14-2014 09:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)