Casio anomaly or gremlin or bug...
09-06-2017, 12:02 AM
RE: Casio anomaly or gremlin or bug...
(09-05-2017 11:31 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  But, I guess, PEDMAS and BODMAS lead to two different solutions.

Those two should NOT lead to different solutions, since in both of them multiplication and division have the same precedence and are both performed left to right. The fact that M is before or after D in them is NOT an indication of which one has precedence; they have equal precedence in both Order Of Operations systems.

Also, please note that in the USA it's usually spelled PEMDAS, not PEDMAS, but both would be equivalent, since the order of M and D is irrelevant. Therefore, if I understand the Wikipedia page about Order of Operations correctly, PEMDAS and PEDMAS and BODMAS are all exactly equivalent systems, just given different names.

The only Order of Operations system that I'm aware of which yields a different answer is, as I said above, the one which includes a hierarchy which other systems don't even have, namely, SCALING, which is symbolized by implied multiplication. In those systems, THAT comes before all other multiplications (and divisions). There is a paragraph in the above-linked article which talks about the ambiguity of "implied multiplication" in expressions such as 1÷2x. Apparently not only Casio and Mathcad consider implied multiplication to come before other multiplications; so do "the manuscript submission instructions for the Physical Review journals" and "prominent physics textbooks such as the Course of Theoretical Physics by Landau and Lifshitz and the Feynman Lectures on Physics."

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Casio anomaly or gremlin or bug... - Joe Horn - 09-06-2017 12:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)