Graph with exponent not correct
10-27-2017, 06:51 AM
RE: Graph with exponent not correct
Hello,

negative^non integer is a function (when it can be calculated) that has more than one solution.
By convention, the first (as in the one that forms the smallest angle with the horizontal axis in the positiive direction) is the one chosen.

The nthroot = ^1/N correspondance is not a true matematical equality (despite what most of us have learned at school, but if this was the only falsehood that is taught at school, I would be happy to let it go, my 10 year old kid's science teacher is teaching him right now that planets orbits are circular and when he said otherwise, he got reprimended!!!!)...

Anyway, a NTHROOT b's definition is: if b>=0, b^1/a. if b<0 and a odd -(-b)^1/a else it is non defined (or the complex number b^1/a if complex numbers are allowed, but normally NTHROOT's application domain does not include complexes, it only does by extention).

But when first taught of nthroot, it is just as an oposit to powers, and at that time, power is limited to simple cases with a being a natural number. And teachers never tell the limit of the application of the function.

Anyhow, now you do know how to draw the function that you are interested in, which is the most important.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Graph with exponent not correct - cyrille de brébisson - 10-27-2017 06:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)