HP 85: tape drive capstan replacement
12-02-2017, 09:25 PM
RE: HP 85: tape drive capstan replacement
Hi Michael,

My tape drive was modified by Larry Atherton. http://stores.ebay.com/la-tech-renewal

In addition to turning a new capstan and changing the write current resistor, a larger hole needed to be cut in the PCB to accomodate the larger door on the QIC tape cartridges. The refurb included two prerecorded tapes and two blanks. I can't identify the mfg but I don't think there's anything special about them except this from Larry's literature.

Tape Note1: The QIC cassette cartridges available from us use tape stock with the correct FTPI- and Oe-rating for the tape drive in your HP-85. Tapes from other sources, may not produce the same data read/write reliability. To maintain the reliability of your QIC tape-drive system, please obtain QIC cassettes from us (price is currently $39.95 each).

I also got two printer belts from Larry.

The drive is now compatible with both the DC100 and QIC40 cartridges, though I haven't found a DC100 cartridge that isn't deteriorating to bits.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 85: tape drive capstan replacement - Dave Frederickson - 12-02-2017 09:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)