What would your ideal HP calc look like now?
03-24-2014, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2014 08:06 AM by colinh.)
RE: What would your ideal HP calc look like now?
I've ordered the WP 34S because such hacking deserves support :-)

This sort of thread appears to be quite common, as I just found this:

[Image: HP45S_Pioneer_V30.jpg]

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=126223

That seems to be pretty close to what people want (along with an SD slot, USB, BT, IR and an ADC/IO(*) interface :-) Possibly a higher res paper-white display. And of course a flashable µC with the source code, so that we can fix any silly implementation details (like having to add 'h' to numbers entered in HEX mode on the HP 35S).

Part of my question was "What exactly is it about programmable scientific calculators that people (ie. engineers and scientists) liked, that is missing from the current offerings? What is it that makes them preferable to a computer (or smart phone) in certain situations?"

A couple of points have emerged:

a) we like high quality keys and would be willing to pay a premium to get them.

b) a portable/pocket calculator should fit comfortably in a pocket! Ie. be very robust but slim and small. Thus a Pioneer (Voyager) type format.

c) graphing capability doesn't seem to be high on anyone's list.

d) expansion/interfacing capabilities are nice

And still, I'm wondering what people(**) use them for - ie. when/why they wouldn't use a computer. For myself, I don't actually need a calculator any more :-( Sometimes I add a few prices in my head to get the change ready in advance. All I really need is food, water and sleep. And I could get by without food for a while too :-(

Thanks for all the replies! :-)

(*) then it could do a bit of data-logging, logic-analyzer / DSO stuff too

(**) scientists & engineers. Others are sort-of people :-) Students are proto-people.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would your ideal HP calc look like now? - colinh - 03-24-2014 06:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)