Idea for simulator: real speed menu
12-12-2017, 05:59 AM
RE: Idea for simulator: real speed menu
Hello,

It actually would not be very easy to do.

On the HP48 simulator, it was realatively easy because the PC program was relatively simple (the CPU emulator). It was therefore possible to add in one place some delay to match the calcuator speed.

However, for Prime, since the PC program running is the same C code than on the real calculator, we would need to either put delay everywhere, or to have a "monitoring process" which would stop and start the calculating process to slow it down. Even then the slow down would not be exactly proportional everywhere.

Regardles, it would be usefull for checking that a program is not too slow to run on the HW machine, but should not be used on the PC to slow down the emulator as, as I said earlied, Prime is not like the 48 was in the fact that Prime is multi platform, it is not "a physical calculator with emulators", it is a calculator that works on lots of platforms (the dedicated HW, but also all the other ones). And programs should be made in consequences.

Regarding the other part of the conversation:
- Yes, this would have been a good suggestion to put in the suggestion thread.
- Yes, the original post was a little bit on the terse side of language. Assuming that this is not from a native speaker, I do not see a problem with it.
- Merry xmass!

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Idea for simulator: real speed menu - cyrille de brébisson - 12-12-2017 05:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)