Use the Prime to Enlighten Everyone
12-30-2017, 10:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2017 10:37 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Use the Prime to Enlighten Everyone
(12-30-2017 09:08 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Besides the fact calculators are not exactly the latest fashion, it's a generational thing. The new generation are downloaders, not coders. They expect programs or applications to exist already, for anything they need done. They must think some magical green goblins come up with the code out of nowhere.

I would disagree on this. At least going through some specific subreddit you see, on this you may be right, a lot of people that starts project that will change everything and they end up doing less than half of the effort that you put in the most trivial source code file in the newRPL project; but then there are also some people that do quite some nice works (either extending existing libraries, or creating new ones).

It depends a lot on the person. Culture across generation may explain something but not everything.

So my idea was: the prime should be quite common, if anything at least as app for android. Therefore some people may be engaged by it and slowly build up libraries. 4 years have passed so it is not that there was no time to build them.

But then I forget that a lot of people do not even know hpcalc.org or hpmuseum.org/forum or comp.sys.h48, so they may share their efforts (if any) in this or that forum/social network/code repository disconnected from the well known ones.

Plus I also forget that, as you said, even older calcs do not have that huge amount of libraries. I mean the amazing listExt from David was developed in 2017, 14 years after the release of the 49g+ (and more if one considers the 48 series).

Maybe only the ti89 series is absolutely stunning in terms of libraries and applications for the original system.

edit: yes the ti89 is a good example how a thing really ubiquitous may catch the attention of enough people with a lot of ingenuity. One can just see the contest section of cemetech to see what I mean.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Use the Prime to Enlighten Everyone - pier4r - 12-30-2017 10:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)