WP-34S keyboard overlays wearing out?
03-31-2014, 01:39 AM
RE: WP-34S keyboard overlays wearing out?
(03-31-2014 12:22 AM)jebem Wrote:  
(03-30-2014 11:42 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  I've never tried to remove the PCB. The keyboards have some serious quality control issues; I have boxes with dozens of 30b calculators that have one key that isn't quite as responsive as the rest, though I've never encountered one with intermittent problems as you describe.

Thanks, Eric.
I bought this one second hand from eBay (24.99 Euros inc. shipment).

Today, after looking to your demo video, I have opened as per your instructions.

The PCB seems to be fixed using plastic rivets that are not meant to be removed.
However, I detect a lot of solder resin flux around the battery connectors, covering a few pcb tracks, so I will unsolder them, clean the whole thing, and re-solder it back.
I have nothing to lose, because as it is now it's worthless. I will not return it because that will cause more delays and whining around.
Jabem,
I have removed the PCBs from 3 of my hp30B's with bad keyboard issues. The problem that mine had was the plastic pin behind the key was bent. Remove the pcb by cutting off the tops of the melted plastic heatstakes (rivets). Then do whatever repairs are appropriate. To put it back together, mount the pcb over the plastic stubs and apply a drop of 5 minute epoxy over each stub. I used rubber bands to hold the pcb and front case together until it dried. It worked on all 3 of mine. Good Luck.
Shawn
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP-34S keyboard overlays wearing out? - Shawn Gibson - 03-31-2014 01:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)