importing excel file to hp prime
01-25-2018, 08:10 PM
importing excel file to hp prime
hello
how can i import an excel file to hp prime calculater , save und use it later ?

thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2018, 12:55 AM
RE: importing excel file to hp prime
For now there is no option to import Excel files, you can copy the formulas you need through the Connectivity Kit.

Both applications are completely different, it is necessary to understand, read their capabilities in their section of the user manual, and not expect to send all kinds of excel sheet to the calculator as one formula with results on several cells such as MINV, graphics, dynamic tables , images, books with many sheets, macros, etc.

Microsoft office has different names for each formula depending on the language installed, and are different in name and parameters in many cases for calculator, there are formulas that do not exist in Office or in the calculator.

The best thing is to use the App of the calculator, and import some things from Excel as something very secondary only if it is possible.

Viga C | TD | FB
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-26-2018, 12:59 AM
You can see 2 ways to send formulas or data to the calculator, either first to the emulator (to then send it to physics with the Kit), or directly to the physics.

It is recommended to create the sheets on the PC with the help of the emulator, and then send them to the physical calculator, this due to the possibility of using a keyboard and mouse.

Viga C | TD | FB
12-27-2018, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2018 04:51 PM by Ninetrees.)
Though I appreciate the efforts that many have gone to producing videos (thanks for those) and forum posts here and there, it seems to me after trying to port a simple spreadsheet from Excel to the Prime is a lesson in beating my head upon the wall.

All my comments apply to the emulator and the conn kit.

My column G in the spreadsheet is labeled "g"....?
Copying and pasting text didn't really work. The text copied, but without the leadIng and trailing quotes, it was not text. I used my editor and regex to add leading and trailing quotes, and pasted those.

Prime accepts formulas, but does not seem to keep them. I pasted formulas, and got the correct results, but when I changed a cell that fed the formula, the results didn't change.

I tried too many times to enter a simple formuLa =C13/G13 but the Prime kept giving me a syntax error.

I'd delete cell contents (emulator), and the deletion looked like it worked, but the data stayed in the cell.

Refreshing in the CK and saving did not consistently actually refresh or save...only sometimes.

If the spreadsheet app really work for a simple real life spreadsheet with text and formulas, then someone who knows what the steps are needs to publish a sample spreadsheet with detailed steps (video OK). Otherwise, this seems like anyone, especially students, will be turned off quickly.

edit 2018-12-27a: I found where the G is reserved for graphics, but even so, just =g13 in a cell gets a syntax error.
I use a spreadsheet often, so maybe I am bringing desktop experience to the Prime, and that is the problem. I read the manual, and it all seems fairly straightforward. I tried pasting In different way into both the emulator and the CK...the emulator often crashed...the CK didn't get the same thing I expected.
I discovered that I was using PI() in my spreadsheet, and I think that caused a problem.
I can't seem to clear a whole spreadsheet in the CK. I cleared it in the emulator and refreshed the CK.
I discovered that the CK would keep cells marked as error, UNTIL I VISITED EACH ONE iN FORMULA ORDER, and that seemed to validate each cell In proper order so that they all then indicated that they were correct.
In the end, it was not worthwhile, because my text all diappeared, and I didn't feel like redoing the whole regex thing.

Attached File(s)
.xls  Shallow Well Chlorination calcs 0201.xls (Size: 25.5 KB / Downloads: 5)
12-28-2018, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2018 07:48 PM by YEDERF.)
Here is the way to transfer text and formulas, do not contemplate G1...G9 ni M1...M9 L1.....L9 Z1....Z9

code vb excel 2016

Sub EncontrarÚltimaFila()
Dim f As Long
'Lee la fila de la ultima celda de UsedRange
g = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Row
f = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Column
' MsgBox f
'MsgBox g

For i = 1 To g
For j = 1 To f
'Debug.Write(index.ToString & " ")
texton = ""
If TypeName(ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).Value) = "String" Then
texto = ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).Value
T = Len(texto)
For k = 1 To T
C = Mid(texto, k, 1)
C = Application.WorksheetFunction.Unicode(C)

texton = texton & C & ","
Next
texton = Left(texton, Len(texton) - 1)
texton = "CHAR({" & texton & "})"
ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).Value = texton
'MsgBox ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).Value
End If

Next
Next
End Sub
12-29-2018, 01:15 PM
@YEDERF
Thanks for that great reply, and for taking the time to record it. I still regret that HP Prime does not make this easier.

My Spanish is pretty rusty, so I had a bit of a moment when I read "bomba" and then read the spreadsheet and realized you meant "Pump".

Can you post your spreadsheet? If not, email it?

If not, thanks for the vid, and I will follow it. And I'll avoid GLMZ!!!
12-29-2018, 02:27 PM
(12-29-2018 01:15 PM)Ninetrees Wrote:  @YEDERF
Thanks for that great reply, and for taking the time to record it. I still regret that HP Prime does not make this easier.

My Spanish is pretty rusty, so I had a bit of a moment when I read "bomba" and then read the spreadsheet and realized you meant "Pump".

Can you post your spreadsheet? If not, email it?

If not, thanks for the vid, and I will follow it. And I'll avoid GLMZ!!!

Files stand out and macro in the description of the video, download it from there
12-29-2018, 02:53 PM
I am not sure what you mean...
The vid quality in the forum here is poor, so I looked at it in You tube.
I stopped the vid where the VB code is displayed, and I am copying it.
I linked to your
LINK DE ARCHIVOS
and got my browser hacked for my trouble.

When I have created the VB, I'll return and watch the vid again.
12-29-2018, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2018 11:04 PM by Gene.)
(12-29-2018 02:53 PM)Ninetrees Wrote:  I am not sure what you mean...
The vid quality in the forum here is poor, so I looked at it in You tube.
I stopped the vid where the VB code is displayed, and I am copying it.
I linked to your
LINK DE ARCHIVOS
and got my browser hacked for my trouble.

When I have created the VB, I'll return and watch the vid again.

you do not have to copy anything, it is in the excel file that I leave in the description of the video, I refer to this link that is also in the video description

[ Moderator - removed link to site that appears insecure. Please do not post a similar link again ]
12-29-2018, 08:11 PM
I followed that link, and it took me to the same place as last time.
Again, there was an attack on my computer.
Again, I had to use the Task Manager to shut down Firefox.
You see the messages on my screen before I closed Firefox.
I will not go there again.
Many thank for posting the vid...I'll make use of that.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-29-2018, 10:58 PM
I made the macro. See attached spreadsheet.
However, my version of Excel does not support this...
'C = Application.WorksheetFunction.Unicode(C)

but I am using a Unicode font in my spreadsheet, so perhaps that is OK?

It runs, and looks like what you do in the vid, but I don't get any text. Maybe that is because of the Unicode question above? In fact, that may be the root of my problems.

I tried to copy one of the cells from my Unicode editor, and the effect is the same...the Prime does not show the text, though the connectivity kit (CK) does.

Attached File(s)
.xls  Copy_Excel_To_HP_Prime_format 0001.xls (Size: 25.5 KB / Downloads: 9)
12-30-2018, 12:08 AM
I am able to get this VB code to work...almost

Sub Copy_Excel_To_HP_Prime_format()
Dim rowMax, colMax As Long
Const vbDoubleQuote As String = """" 'represents 1 double quote (")
Const vbSingleQuote As String = "'" 'represents 1 single quote (')

'Read the row,col of the last UsedRange cell
rowMax = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Row
colMax = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Column
'MsgBox rowMax
'MsgBox colMax

For i = 1 To rowMax
For j = 1 To colMax
'Debug.Write(index.ToString & " ")
texton = ""
texto = ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).Value
texton = vbDoubleQuote & vbDoubleQuote & vbDoubleQuote & texto & vbDoubleQuote & vbDoubleQuote & vbDoubleQuote
ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).Value = texton
'MsgBox ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).Value
End If
Next
Next
End Sub

It seems to work fine to get text cells and numbers.

BUT...on both The emulator AND on my Prime
I cannot put a number in, say, A1
and put a simple formula in, say, B1, that is '=A1'
when I enter this (without quotes) in either the emulator OR use the keyboard On the PriMe, I get a syntax error.

I see the formulas in the CK, but they do not get to the emulator.
If I can determine why I can't enter a formula, I might get it all to work
12-30-2018, 12:11 AM
(12-29-2018 10:58 PM)Ninetrees Wrote:  I made the macro. See attached spreadsheet.
However, my version of Excel does not support this...
'C = Application.WorksheetFunction.Unicode(C)

but I am using a Unicode font in my spreadsheet, so perhaps that is OK?

It runs, and looks like what you do in the vid, but I don't get any text. Maybe that is because of the Unicode question above? In fact, that may be the root of my problems.

I tried to copy one of the cells from my Unicode editor, and the effect is the same...the Prime does not show the text, though the connectivity kit (CK) does.

This link does not contain any virus, it is in 4shared, in your image it even shows the download button, however you must create an account in it or in your facebook account, now, if you saw the comments of the video (corroborates that it is not virus), do as in the video, and work with the emulator, and then pass the file from the calculation sheet to the real calculation,

here show how donwload in 4shared

12-30-2018, 12:36 AM
It seems that because I use RPN, there is a different entry method
'A1' for example
now I must see if there is a useful way for me to use what you showed and what I learned...in RPN mode

or if I should use algebraic to transfer all my spreadsheets
12-30-2018, 01:03 AM
I do not want to spoil your effort, but it's just not worth "importing" a sheet from another application, in this case the popular Excel. A good spreadsheet in HP Prime is made directly in the emulator (recommended) or in the physical calculator, that's where you can give the various characteristics of HP Prime.

The tutorials on sending Excel to HP Prime do not indicate at all that one abandons the idea of ​​working directly on the calculator, or that they are the definitive solution to this matter; are tutorials that try to take advantage of the minimal interaction that can exist between both applications, for now you can only copy numbers and formulas, and this is very little about a final product expected in the calculator like text cut into cells, format of cells, exclusive formulas of HP Prime, etc.

Viga C | TD | FB
12-31-2018, 01:38 PM
These are wise words that I'll pay attention to. My only reason for wanting to port spreadsheets from, say, Excel, to the Prime, is because I developed them there first. I certainly don't see this as my primary spreadsheet tool.

Nonetheless, I finished writing this VB macro...I offer it without any guarantees, but it worked for me in Windows 10 Pro x64, Excel 2010, CK 2.1.14181 Prime VC

Sub Convert_Excel_To_CK_in_HP_Prime_VC_format()
'This was tested using algebraic RPN mode in CK 2.1.14181 Prime VC, 2012-12-30
'I could not paste directly to the Prime VC...it crashed.
'NOTE: After pasting your spreadsheet into this one, the range will be selected.
'Show formulas.
'Run this macro.
'Copy the selected range, and paste into appropriate cell in the CK.

Dim rowMax, colMax As Long
Const vbDoubleQuote As String = """" 'represents 1 double quote (")
Const vbSingleQuote As String = "'" 'represents 1 single quote (')

'Read the row,col of the last UsedRange cell
rowMax = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Row
colMax = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Column

cellstr = ""
For i = 1 To rowMax
For j = 1 To colMax
cellstr = vbDoubleQuote & vbDoubleQuote & vbDoubleQuote
cellstr = cellstr & ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).Value
cellstr = cellstr & vbDoubleQuote & vbDoubleQuote & vbDoubleQuote
ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).Value = cellstr
End If

'testing...
'In algebraic mode, with B1=6:
'Edit CK and insert [C1:3]: =B1 and 'B1' work; '=B1' does not
'Copying these cells from Excel 2010, pasting into CK, =B1 displays in CK and Prime VC

'In RPN mode, with B1=6:
'Edit CK and insert [C1:3]: =B1 and 'B1' work; '=B1' does not
'Copying these cells from Excel 2010, pasting into CK, =B1 displays in CK and BUT DOES NOT APPEAR in Prime VC

'This seems to work for algebraic and RPN, 2018-12-30
If ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).HasFormula Then
cellstr = ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).Formula
cellstr = Right(cellstr, Len(cellstr) - 1)
cellstr = vbDoubleQuote & vbSingleQuote & cellstr & vbSingleQuote & vbDoubleQuote
ActiveSheet.Cells(i, j).Value = cellstr
End If
Next
Next
End Sub

Attached File(s)
.xls  Convert_Excel_To_HP_Prime_format.xls (Size: 31 KB / Downloads: 9)
01-02-2019, 03:09 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2019 03:10 AM by Tim Wessman.)
(12-30-2018 12:36 AM)Ninetrees Wrote:  It seems that because I use RPN, there is a different entry method
'A1' for example
now I must see if there is a useful way for me to use what you showed and what I learned...in RPN mode

or if I should use algebraic to transfer all my spreadsheets

Yes, in RPN mode ' ' is used to quote arguments. This seemed to be the appropriate decision for input since ' ' is how you signify an algebraic expression in RPN mode.

Yes, this does create problems in transferring if you are pasting content as the input is different.

This does not impact saved spreadsheets.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-02-2019, 01:39 PM
Thanks for chiming in. At least the spreadsheet converter works. I see the same question popping up on the HP forum, so I'll cross post there. Would be nicer all around if the docs were more complete. The trend that I have seen in nearly every sector of technology over the past few decades is to use increasingly sophisticated and more powerful tech, and then implement it poorly and document it inadequately. Applies here. I should not have had to 'discover' by interpreting the docs and trial and error. Cars, GPS, calculators, etc. Take your pick. I can't think of a recent exception. I bought a new Garmin GPS, plugged it into my new car's USB port, and it died. Immediately and permanently. My older one worked fine there. Just as powerful, more convenient to use, but outdated. (Garmin bought out DeLorme and killed the PN-series GPSR line.) The learning curve on the Garmin is steep, as all the web blogs and fora attest.

I came to the Prime after a decades-long history with HP (and others) and RPN. (I
also program in Forth, which we used on a recent $750M USD space instrument mission.) I expected that the Prime would be a really cool and powerful enhanced 50g. I now have the impression that it is really an algebraic machine to compete with TI, and that RPN is playing second fiddle. I am adjusting to that, and exploring the device with this new perspective. It seems more like a sophisticated entry level student devise than a work tool. The 25C had it beat there, though I am not kidding anyone that I would have missed vector capability (engineering physicist here). That is why I like the 50g.

But the Prime, despite its name, seems to be aimed at helping students, and I appreciate that. I quickly threw together a beat freq app to show students, so I appreciate the convenience of that. I also like the classroom connectivity. Normally not a fan of touch screens, I like this one. I miss writing with a stylus for entry. I have been using Palm Pilot since its inception, and am still surprised when I meet folks who don't know that we have had handwriting recognition since the 90s. I do recognize (or opine!) that the Prime has some great user features that work well with the touch screen, and I appreciate the speed they provide. OTOH, it now takes more keystrokes scattered about the board and screen to accomplish what I consider routine tasks in RPN, and I have not found 3D vector math yet. It comes as no surprise to hear me say that I miss using the soft keys as we do on the 50.
01-02-2019, 03:30 PM
Continuing experience with the Prime most likely will confirm your analysis. In particular, expectations of the Prime, as a math tool, can seem to evolve into a Pareto reality. This is due in large part, to the documentation layer. Not to be overlooked is that "teaching" philosophy, as you have already noted.

The idea is that you should only use the calculator as a speedy convenience, in order to not let, "the machine do the thinking for you." With that idea in mind, your engineering goals might get compromised, when barriers of the calculator collide with the design objective of it's author.

I could cite many examples, but, just for one, (in CAS), take a numeric 2x2 matrix, say: a:=[[4,4],[-3,3]]; Now, try to return svd(a), and you can see what I am alluding to. Change it a little: let a:=[[4,3],[8,6]]; and retry svd(a).

If you have the sheer determination to stop your work, and investigate why those outcomes prevailed, and use another CAS system to confirm results, just be forewarned, that process might become troublesome here.

With forward advances in technology, it is natural to think we would be well beyond this, because it is such a great product, in so many ways. Yet, here we are, and there are lots of reasons, so hopefully, a next generation product will be able to offer a more suitable feature mix!
02-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Hi friends!
can I search for text in a spreadsheet file?
thx

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)