hp prime flickering when scrolling
02-11-2018, 07:52 AM
hp prime flickering when scrolling
Hello everybody,

I'me very new in the hp calculator familly and did just buy an hp prime form my exam's un march. Also please excuse my approximate englisch.

I noticed, when scrolling down that my hp prime does some kind of flickering. See this video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YTFFBsKhJfWqyNDH3

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, also on yours, or if my calculator has a problem ? I tried to get in touch with the hp support with this question, but i my contry it seems impossible to reach them, all I can do is send the calculator back.

Thanks in advance,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2018, 04:31 PM
RE: hp prime flickering when scrolling
Hello,
Which firmware are you using? Still a Beta or the new one?
With the Beta, my prime was flickering as well.

Thanks

Giancarlo
02-11-2018, 04:41 PM
It is normal. The home screen is one area we can't stop the flickering at yet without causing problems with some user created programs.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-11-2018, 06:55 PM
(02-11-2018 07:52 AM)ioupeka Wrote:  Hello everybody,

I'me very new in the hp calculator familly and did just buy an hp prime form my exam's un march. Also please excuse my approximate englisch.

I noticed, when scrolling down that my hp prime does some kind of flickering. See this video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YTFFBsKhJfWqyNDH3

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, also on yours, or if my calculator has a problem ? I tried to get in touch with the hp support with this question, but i my contry it seems impossible to reach them, all I can do is send the calculator back.

Thanks in advance,

The flickering was one of the first things that bothered me, it seems to be better now but it is still present. Is strange that TW says now that fixing would break user created programs... Damn users keeping the flickering alive Tongue

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Okay, thank's a lot for your answers, I really was wondering if it is normal.

By the way, the firmware «out of the box» is 2016-08-29 (10637) wich is according to wikipedia not the latest version, before the betas. This is also surprising.

So I'm happy to hear it is normal, and I can go back to learning for the exam's without wondering if the calculator will last ;-)

Thank's a lot for your answers and have a nice day
01-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Flickering *without* scrolling
Hello to the long-time Prime users,

as a new Prime G2 user I would like to ask a (maybe redundant) question. I would like to understand if my device works to it's standard specifications and nothing is faulty.

In Home/CAS-Screen, when scrolling the screen is "flickering" very heavily -- looks bad, but isn't... that was the topic of the thread-starter.

But when I'm in Home/CAS and do nothing... not touching anything... only watching the screen... meditating the typed in maths... sometimes (in range of some seconds) single horizontal lines flicker here and there randomly over the screen.

My Question, therefore: That is also the normal behavior?

The flickering doesn't bother me at all -- it's barely noticeable... but I would like to exclude the possibility that my LCD driver is faulty and will die (just outside of my return-warranty ;-) .

Thanks for an answer in advance. I would guess such questions bother many new users of this otherwise remarkable device.
01-03-2019, 09:22 PM
(02-11-2018 06:55 PM)eried Wrote:  
(02-11-2018 07:52 AM)ioupeka Wrote:  Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance,

The flickering was one of the first things that bothered me, it seems to be better now but it is still present. Is strange that TW says now that fixing would break user created programs... Damn users keeping the flickering alive Tongue

Long live the flicker! My Friend Flicker! (Oops! That old show about a horse was My Friend Flicka)

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-07-2019, 06:40 AM
Hello,

They are 2 flickers...

1) is HW flickering. This line that you sometime see that goes up/down through the screen.
This is a stroboscopic effect between the screen, your eye and whatever lighting is around. We have done everything we could to minimize it, and some people are more sensible to it than others, but there is not much we can do about it (screen refresh is set to 55hz to be different from the US 60hz and rest of the world 50hz main frequencies).

2) is SW flickering, this is the one that you see when you cause the screen to redraw as you interact with the device. This one is something that we can do something about (and have done in a lot of places). But not in the home screen.
Solving SW flickering takes extra work from us, and tends to slow things down (or make it look slower)...

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)