Goose Chase - $20 by paypal to the first one who finds and posts here...
02-17-2018, 05:58 PM
RE: Goose Chase - $20 by paypal to the first one who finds and posts here...
(02-17-2018 03:45 AM)martinot Wrote:  This is the first time I have ever heard about people using two spaces after sentences. I have also never seen that in any text.

I wonder if it is an older generation (I am born -68) or possibly only an American thing (I am from Europe)?

So far we've heard this attested from the U.S., Canada, and Norway...

I'm from Europe, and born in '64 I have seen tons of typewritten text, mostly in Dutch and German, and I don't remember there being double spaces anywhere. And I would remember, because I find it an annoying eyesore: in fixed-width fonts, the period already takes up a disproportionate amount of space, so following it with a single space means sentences are already separated by a larger gap than the spacing between words. Why anyone would throw ANOTHER space in there is utterly beyond me. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2018, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2018 11:57 AM by martinot.)
RE: Goose Chase - $20 by paypal to the first one who finds and posts here...
(02-17-2018 05:58 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(02-17-2018 03:45 AM)martinot Wrote:  This is the first time I have ever heard about people using two spaces after sentences. I have also never seen that in any text.

I wonder if it is an older generation (I am born -68) or possibly only an American thing (I am from Europe)?

So far we've heard this attested from the U.S., Canada, and Norway...

I'm from Europe, and born in '64 I have seen tons of typewritten text, mostly in Dutch and German, and I don't remember there being double spaces anywhere. And I would remember, because I find it an annoying eyesore: in fixed-width fonts, the period already takes up a disproportionate amount of space, so following it with a single space means sentences are already separated by a larger gap than the spacing between words. Why anyone would throw ANOTHER space in there is utterly beyond me. Smile

Yes, very interesting and strange.

For the record I am from Sweden (neighbour country to Norway), and learned to touch type here in Sweden in computer classes in 7-9th grade in the eighties (when I was 13-15). We never learned, and even less heard, of that you should, or even could, put two spaces after the sentences punctuation marks.

It also does not (for me) add up that it should have anything to do with monospaced fonts, as it is quite the opposite; in monospaced fonts I think already with one "." and " " it is too much space between all sentences compared to a good proportional spaced fonts and normal text flows in books.

I have never seen that in any text; neither in Swedish, English, or for that matter German or French texts (which I can read, but not as fluently as Swedish and English).

Never heard about using two spaces after punctuation marks before this post by Gene in this thread! You obviously learn a lot by reading MoHPC forums! Smile

HP 35s, HP 50g, HP Elite X3, SwissMicros DM42
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)