How to calculate derivatives?
02-20-2018, 11:16 AM
How to calculate derivatives?
I am having a hard time figuring out how to calculate derivatives on the HP Prime. Do I need to download a certain program or can I compute it directly in CAS mode?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2018, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 04:59 PM by TheKaneB.)
RE: How to calculate derivatives?
On the first row of keys, under the black portion, you have the following keys: Vars, Tools and Templates (there are graphic icons, not actual words on them).

Click the templates button, select the d/dx template and enter your function by filling up the template provided. Enjoy!

In Home view you will get a numerical approximation, while in CAS mode if you have exact mode active you will get a symbolic answer.

Software Failure: Guru Meditation

--
Antonio
IU2KIY
02-20-2018, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 05:13 PM by DrD.)
Also:

You can use the diff() command (See help): diff(x^2+2*x+c,x) ==> 2*x+2

You can use the apostrophe: (x^2+2*x+c)' ==> 2*x+2
02-20-2018, 06:04 PM
(02-20-2018 05:09 PM)DrD Wrote:  You can use the apostrophe: (x^2+2*x+c)' ==> 2*x+2

You learn something new every day -- I never knew that!
02-20-2018, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 10:01 PM by TheKaneB.)
That's very useful! In the function definition of the graph app it doesn't work though. You first have to define your f2:=f1' and then apply it to the graph app like F2(X) = f2(X) in the Symbolic view.

--
Antonio
IU2KIY
02-21-2018, 06:50 AM
Hello,

' for derivative is a CAS function, not a home function which is why it does not work in the plotting app.

2nd subtility.

The "result" of the derivative function is a function, not the function evaluated at a point!
So, if you define F2 in the symb view as der(F1(X),X) (with der being the derivative symbol), whenever F2 gets evaluated, the der function returns the derivated F1, NOT the numerical result of the evaluation of the derivative of F1!

The proper syntax to get the VALUE of the derivative of a function at a point is: der(F1(Y),Y=X).
Note, you could also enter der(F1(X),X=X), which is valid, but confusing to the human because you have 2 X variables here, one used for derivation and one as a numerical value replacement!

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
02-21-2018, 10:32 AM
Hi Cyrille, thank you for the insight! Really appreciated Smile

--
Antonio
IU2KIY
02-22-2018, 01:03 PM
(02-20-2018 11:16 AM)firedwheelman Wrote:  I am having a hard time figuring out how to calculate derivatives on the HP Prime. Do I need to download a certain program or can I compute it directly in CAS mode?

Yes, in CAS Mode, there is also a specific template Wink
Best,

Aries :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)