Allschwil Meeting 2018
11-07-2018, 05:41 AM
RE: Allschwil Meeting 2018
(11-06-2018 04:12 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  EDIT : Kind of OT, but I forgot to mention what I call "Frisbee of death" dump trucks. They're huge dump trucks carrying things such as scrap metal with a covering / tarp which is *supposed* to be pulled over the top, but which is often not. If you're unlucky enough to be near downtown Houston on, say, I-10, then watch out for these things : They can throw out metal debris that will go right through your windshield and kill you, and it's happened before.

Oh my, pls. remind me the next time I travel to Houston I should wear my suit in armor ;-0
And I used to think traffic in Madrid was challenging... what would I know.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Why do I think you guys are talking a bit "off-topic"?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2018, 10:18 AM
(11-07-2018 03:51 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  Why do I think you guys are talking a bit "off-topic"?

Sure, we 're killing time while we wait for the videos on-line ;-)
11-08-2018, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 11:45 AM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(11-08-2018 10:18 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Sure, we 're killing time while we wait for the videos on-line ;-)

You could attend in person, so you already know the contents of the video :-) But we others who couldn't go really need some distraction in the meantime...

I drove through the centre of Madrid on my bicycle twice. When the Cassini spacecraft crossed the rings of Saturn at the end of it's mission it must have had similar sensations to me back then. I think I was the only (living) person on a bicycle there. It was a bit like a neutrino going through the core of the earth. There is absolutely nothing you can actively do other than closing your eyes and hoping that you will pass through the gaps by miracle.
Having driven something like 3000 miles in the States myself I can only say that this was the most relaxing driving I have ever experienced anywhere. But I never was in Houston and in my two weeks in Texas (outskirts of Dallas) I used taxis and public transport which was totally uneventful.
For me the absolute worst and horribly awful driving environment (including places like Istanbul and Napoli) are motorways in Germany. Incredibly dense traffic, no speed limit and enormous differences in speed between lanes and vehicles make driving a hair-raising challenge. So much that I aviod the motorway as good as I can.

Regards
Max
11-08-2018, 10:46 PM
Well, now I've finally made it. The boxes are unpacked, the material provided, the videos cut, the report written, the presentations collected and all uploaded together on my website:

Allschwil HP Meeting 2018 review (english)

Here you can find the whole review of the meeting with all links.
I would also like to thank Bruce Horrocks, who helped me a lot with the translation of the review. Yes, even teachers can't do everything.... Wink
11-09-2018, 12:31 AM
(11-06-2018 08:44 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  Hmm, I remember that once there was some "Smoke on the water" ;-)

Deep Purple and Sci-Fi fans, checkout the rendition of Highway Star on The Expanse, S3E7, Delta-V (about 3 minutes into the episode).
11-09-2018, 12:00 PM
Hello!

(11-08-2018 10:46 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  Well, now I've finally made it.

Thank you so much for your effort!

I just clicked my way through the first presentation by Hans Klaver. It concludes with three questions (numbers added by me):

1. Do you think it’s a useful feature for a small stack RPN calculator, or is it completely superfluous?

2. Do you think the course of history of RPN calculators would have been different if HP would have implemented such a scheme into its HP-35 45 years ago?

3. Do you think it will ever be implemented in a future hardware RPN calculator?

I wonder what the opinion/consensus of the gathered audience was regarding those questions?

My answers would be:
1. Yes it could be useful. Just the same as a warning on an algebraic calculator would be that one runs out of parentheses (some have 2 levels, some 3 others 10 but there is no warning).
2. No (in my experience stack overflow is the least of problems an occasional or beginner RPN user encounters)
3. No. „Small stack“ is a thing of the distant past. There is no need to limit the stack size in any future RPN calculator.

Regards
Max
11-10-2018, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2018 06:10 PM by burkhard.)
Wow, Matthias, such a nice summary with photos and links to presentations and videos up so quickly! Great job!

It sure looks like a super line-up of speakers/topics as well. I look forward to watching each of them.

Thanks very much for the presenters and hosts, Hans-Peter and Matthias, for sharing this.
11-10-2018, 06:27 PM
(11-08-2018 10:46 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  Well, now I've finally made it. The boxes are unpacked, the material provided, the videos cut, the report written, the presentations collected and all uploaded together on my website:

thank-you Matthias for sharing, thank-you to all the participants
11-13-2018, 09:21 PM
Thanks Matthias and Hans-Peter for the meeting and for cutting these videos. But your main work wasn't mentioned yet. Surely it was to select the best group photo from the several hundreds Hans-Peter's camera has shot. Smile

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
11-13-2018, 10:27 PM
During the last two weeks I received a lot of positive feedback and thanks for the HP Meeting 2018. For this I would like to thank you very much.
Getting the meeting started is a lot of work, but without you participants and the interested community in the background such a meeting would not be possible and worthless. Thank you very much for coming, thinking, discussing and cleaning up (and to some gentlemen: for shopping from my shopping cart - the money is already reinvested).

Matthias
11-15-2018, 06:28 PM
(11-13-2018 10:27 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  During the last two weeks I received a lot of positive feedback and thanks for the HP Meeting 2018. For this I would like to thank you very much.

Looking forward to 2020! :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)