Sharp PC-G850VS
09-13-2018, 07:23 PM
RE: Sharp PC-G850VS
(09-13-2018 05:12 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  This same site has several very useful pages on the PC-G850V (and many other machines), which, although originally in Spanish (I think?) Chrome very nicely translates automagically:

http://basic.hopto.org/basic/g850v.php.

Very useful indeed! Thanks Zaphod & Bob for posting this reference site. Following their instructions, I now have a serial link to my 850VS!

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2018, 08:36 PM
(09-13-2018 07:23 PM)mfleming Wrote:  
(09-13-2018 05:12 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  This same site has several very useful pages on the PC-G850V (and many other machines), which, although originally in Spanish (I think?) Chrome very nicely translates automagically:

Very useful indeed! Thanks Zaphod & Bob for posting this reference site. Following their instructions, I now have a serial link to my 850VS!

~Mark

Damn , I didn’t spot those tabs , I still haven’t seen it in translated English yet (don’t have Chrome).
I’ll see if it can speak to my other 850 Tongue
09-13-2018, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2018 08:48 PM by Zaphod.)
Using the following command, "OUT &H69,6", the calculator will enter a TEST mode of all systems. WATCH OUT! because all the data will be deleted.
Don’t leave a space between & and H as in the example

I do like a self test menu Tongue

Found on:
https://translate.google.com/translate?s.../g850v.php
09-13-2018, 09:14 PM
https://translate.google.com/translate?s...nical_data
09-13-2018, 09:59 PM
(09-13-2018 08:36 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  
(09-13-2018 07:23 PM)mfleming Wrote:  Very useful indeed! Thanks Zaphod & Bob for posting this reference site. Following their instructions, I now have a serial link to my 850VS!

~Mark

Damn , I didn’t spot those tabs , I still haven’t seen it in translated English yet (don’t have Chrome).
I’ll see if it can speak to my other 850 Tongue

You don't need Chrome (though that's pretty nice the way it inline-translates a page for you); you can snag the URL and paste that directly into the LHS textbox, then click on the link in the right hand text box. Google will then give you a page that's translated (probably a limit on how much). This falls down in most Japanese websites, as they use a lot of pictures with embedded text, Google can't translate those.

(Post 282)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-13-2018, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2018 10:05 PM by Zaphod.)
(09-13-2018 09:59 PM)brickviking Wrote:  You don't need Chrome (though that's pretty nice the way it inline-translates a page for you); you can snag the URL and paste that directly into the LHS textbox, then click on the link in the right hand text box. Google will then give you a page that's translated (probably a limit on how much).

Yeah I do that already Smile

Although earlier when I "hadn’t seen the translated pages" it was down to me forgetting to change the translating language, it leaves the translated page as-is if you’re trying to force it to translate in the wrong language.
09-14-2018, 12:09 AM
(09-13-2018 04:34 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  I’ve just stumbled across this , which should be of interest once translated

http://basic.hopto.org/basic/manual/Shar...rapida.pdf

Ca me semble bien. Big Grin

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-14-2018, 10:44 AM
(09-14-2018 12:09 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  Ca me semble bien. Big Grin

Big Grin
09-14-2018, 04:22 PM
(09-13-2018 04:34 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  I’ve just stumbled across this , which should be of interest once translated

http://basic.hopto.org/basic/manual/Shar...rapida.pdf

Thanks for the link. I'll have to take a close look at it to see if anything needs to be edited in the manual.

(09-13-2018 03:57 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  Is the STAT mode menu in Japanese on other people's PC-G850VS units? All my other menus are in English but the STAT menu is in Japanese. The manual doesn't really say much about STAT mode. If it's my unit that's different, I'll buy another one. If it's the same all over, then I guess I'll have to try to translate the menus.

I wasn't aware there was a STAT mode in the PC-G850VS. There was no mention of it in the German Manual. I have a pdf of the Japanese manual, however, a quick look didn't mention anything about a STAT mode.
09-14-2018, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2018 05:29 PM by Zaphod.)
(09-14-2018 04:22 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  I wasn't aware there was a STAT mode in the PC-G850VS. There was no mention of it in the German Manual. I have a pdf of the Japanese manual, however, a quick look didn't mention anything about a STAT mode.

The BASE-n button produces:

[Image: 0_B3_D3_D80-_DCE0-4349-8_E0_C-1037621088_A4.jpg]

This seems to allow you to enter a number , then toggle (using the 2 button?) between hex, binary, two’s complement, etc

But every menu and submenu is in Jap

The STAT button produces:
[Image: 4023_F4_F8-82_CC-4_E0_E-_AE0_E-_CF9_EBB523621.jpg]

And sub-pages (depending if you click 1 or 2)

[Image: E6_B9_EE0_B-_BC0_A-4_E67-_AB41-_F3_EBD563_AE8_B.jpg]

And:

[Image: CD58_CB23-_E1_C1-47_F6-_B870-_E4_BAC6_CB1_B44.jpg]

Quote:Thanks for the link. I'll have to take a close look at it to see if anything needs to be edited in the manual.
It would be nice if all this extra stuff and examples were added to the main pdf which we could then ‘own’ as a complete portable repository for the machine...
Everything under one roof etc Big Grin
09-15-2018, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2018 08:43 AM by foroplus.)

I also noted that this site has Jack's great manual available for download, so the author likely is a member here too.
Yes, I'm also a member of this forum. And yes, the site is in Spanish.
Hi to everyone.

Calculadoras programables BASIC años 80-90:
http://basic.hopto.org
09-15-2018, 12:59 PM
(09-15-2018 08:42 AM)foroplus Wrote:  Yes, I'm also a member of this forum. And yes, the site is in Spanish.
Hi to everyone.

Hello foroplus. You have a real nice website, with lots of useful information on many machines. Thanks very much for all the work to share so much with the community. Using the auto-translate feature of Chrome works very well with your site, allowing it to be easily read in several languages.

--Bob Prosperi
09-15-2018, 01:10 PM
(09-15-2018 12:59 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 08:42 AM)foroplus Wrote:  Yes, I'm also a member of this forum. And yes, the site is in Spanish.
Hi to everyone.

Hello foroplus. You have a real nice website, with lots of useful information on many machines. Thanks very much for all the work to share so much with the community. Using the auto-translate feature of Chrome works very well with your site, allowing it to be easily read in several languages.
Glad to help everyone.
I have much more programmable calculators and would like to make a page of each of them, but haven't had time yet. My hobby is only in programmable ones cause you have to limit yourself in some way. Nevertheless, with this limit, there are tons of models out there.
Like a lot this community and with time I will complete the site with time.

09-18-2018, 01:07 AM
(09-15-2018 08:42 AM)foroplus Wrote:  

I also noted that this site has Jack's great manual available for download, so the author likely is a member here too.
Yes, I'm also a member of this forum. And yes, the site is in Spanish.
Hi to everyone.

I had a look at your website and it is very well done with some great examples. Do you mind if I incorporate some of those examples in the English manual? I’m still in the process of deciphering Base-n and STAT so it will take me a little time to go through your website and make sure that my information correlates with yours. Thanks.
09-18-2018, 09:55 AM
(09-18-2018 01:07 AM)jwhsu Wrote:  
Hi to everyone.

I had a look at your website and it is very well done with some great examples. Do you mind if I incorporate some of those examples in the English manual? I’m still in the process of deciphering Base-n and STAT so it will take me a little time to go through your website and make sure that my information correlates with yours. Thanks.
No. Of course, you can use all the info.
And thank you for all your work. The manual is incredible. A great step for the community.
In the past, trying to figure out how to use Z80 machine Code or how CASL works I had to use German and Japanese manuals, languages that I don't know at all. Nice to have all this now in a language that I understand with your manual.

Other Gs machines are incredible as well (I only own a G801 and a G820 that's the reason why these are the only Gs calculators that have a specific page).

09-18-2018, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 10:59 PM by jwhsu.)
New version of the manual has been posted. I was able to find instructions on both STAT mode and BASE-n in the Japanese manual. Google translate was helpful as a starting point. I managed to figure out what was going on by playing around with them. Download link for the manual is on post #39.

Major Changes:
  1. Addition of chapter on how to use STAT mode.
  2. Addition of section on how to use BASE-n

Minor Changes
  1. Clarification of pin locations of 11-pin interface (thanks SMP).
  2. Expansion of BLOAD/BSAVE to include tape (please verify. I don't have a tape recorder to test).

To-Do
  1. Verify that information on foroplus' website is the same as in the manual
  2. Incorporate additional examples from foroplus' website (thanks to foroplus who gave permission).

One interesting fact I noted (and it's indirectly mentioned in the manual), if you create a program that starts with line number 100 and save it to the internal file space as "BASE_N.BAS", the BASE-n key will run that program instead of the internal BASE-n program. This allows one key execution of a program. This will, however, overwrite any BASIC program in memory (which is why I put it in the calculations chapter rather than in its own chapter as this operation is destructive, unlike STAT mode). Please let me know if there are any errors or clarifications needed.
09-18-2018, 11:35 PM
(09-18-2018 10:58 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  New version of the manual has been posted. I was able to find instructions on both STAT mode and BASE-n in the Japanese manual. Google translate was helpful as a starting point. I managed to figure out what was going on by playing around with them. Download link for the manual is on post #39.

The file on the link is a .docx file; whereas the prior releases were .PDF files.

OK with me, just an FYI in case that was not your plan.

And thanks for the update and additional info on STAT and BASE modes. The feature of the BASE-n programs overwriting the current program explains why it warns you as you enter BASE mode. Nice detective work btw.

--Bob Prosperi
09-18-2018, 11:42 PM
(09-18-2018 11:35 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 10:58 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  New version of the manual has been posted. I was able to find instructions on both STAT mode and BASE-n in the Japanese manual. Google translate was helpful as a starting point. I managed to figure out what was going on by playing around with them. Download link for the manual is on post #39.

The file on the link is a .docx file; whereas the prior releases were .PDF files.

OK with me, just an FYI in case that was not your plan.

And thanks for the update and additional info on STAT and BASE modes. The feature of the BASE-n programs overwriting the current program explains why it warns you as you enter BASE mode. Nice detective work btw.

Thanks for the info. Changed it to the PDF (more universal).
09-19-2018, 01:02 AM
(09-18-2018 10:58 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  One interesting fact I noted (and it's indirectly mentioned in the manual), if you create a program that starts with line number 100 and save it to the internal file space as "BASE_N.BAS", the BASE-n key will run that program instead of the internal BASE-n program.

Many thanks from us all for maintaining this document! The above fact is very helpful in that we can invoke the default BASIC program, change the prompts to our own language and save as stated above. I guess we'll still need a cheat sheet for the STAT functions...

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
09-19-2018, 02:14 AM
(09-19-2018 01:02 AM)mfleming Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 10:58 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  One interesting fact I noted (and it's indirectly mentioned in the manual), if you create a program that starts with line number 100 and save it to the internal file space as "BASE_N.BAS", the BASE-n key will run that program instead of the internal BASE-n program.

Many thanks from us all for maintaining this document! The above fact is very helpful in that we can invoke the default BASIC program, change the prompts to our own language and save as stated above. I guess we'll still need a cheat sheet for the STAT functions...

~Mark

As far as I can tell, it can be any BASIC program. I tested it out by writing a short "Hello World" program and saving it as "BASE_N.BAS". When I pressed the BASE-n key, it prompted to clear the BASIC memory. Afterwards, it loaded my "Hello World" program and gave the command "GOTO 100", which ran the program. You can restore default functionality by deleting any program named "BASE_N.BAS" from the filesystem.

As far as STAT mode. Agreed that you may need a cheat sheet for it. However, if you use it often enough, it is pretty straightforward to use. Hope this helps.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)