Tim Wessman Relocating Away from Fort Collins
04-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Tim Wessman Relocating Away from Fort Collins
Hello,

Some people may already be aware and I apologize for this if anyone considers off topic, irrelevant, or out of place .... feel free to delete this mods if you so desire!

The group where the calculator group falls under is leaving the Fort Collins, Colorado HP site to get people co-located into other places (choice specific to our parent group and not anything HP Inc significant). I essentially don't work directly with people here in Colorado, but I am swept along with it since my body resides here. Smile

We decided to take the adventure option and move the family (3 kids as well) over to Taipei, Taiwan in the summer for the foreseeable future! I basically don't co-locate with anyone over there either... but that is the way of these things. Big Grin

I still hope/plan to be able to attend HHC2018! Fort Collins will just not be a hosting option for the foreseeable future.

Now as to why I am posting this - I have collected a fairly large amount of various calculator related things over the past ~12 years or so and would prefer it to go to people who want/desire/need/value it. I have some old stuff people have given me personally (hey, my dad had an old HP calculator - you want it?), as well a good collection of newer stuff (a whole box of 50g units in almost new condition), and then also some HP owned things that I will be sending to recycle (e.g. the last big bag of 30b flashing cables) or else "somewhere else" if I can find them a home...

Then there are a few things like an unopened 15C LE with the limited edition number of "42" on it that might be quite interesting to certain people...

If you are interested in helping me figure out how to best proceed, what is worth something vs no interest, etc. then please send me a private message/email. I just don't follow the collection/used sale market scene to know what to do with it. Nor would I know whom to contact regarding some of the stuff that I can't sell but might be able to donate or ship to someone without issue.

I already have a few boxes of manuals ready to ship to go into Richard's Garage! Big Grin

Thanks for your indulgence! (and apologies if I've crossed a line in your mind)

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2018, 08:36 PM
RE: Tim Wessman Relocating Away from Fort Collins
Wow, that sounds like a big change. Hope it works out well for you and your coworkers in the Calculator Division.

I don't have any suggestions regarding the distribution of "stuff" but that depends on what sort of quantities you're talking about. I hope that any manuals will get to someone who can scan them for the Museum.

OTOH, I wouldn't mind having a 30b flashing cable and an extra 50g! Smile

John
04-16-2018, 08:45 PM
I would also be interested in a 50G.
04-16-2018, 09:54 PM
All the best to you and your family!
04-16-2018, 11:18 PM
Best wishes on the move
I wish you well, Tim. And I would like a chance to acquire a 30b flashing cable, if possible.

Alan
04-17-2018, 01:54 AM
(04-16-2018 08:23 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  I still hope/plan to be able to attend HHC2018! Fort Collins will just not be a hosting option for the foreseeable future.

HHC in Taipei then?

Quote:(a whole box of 50g units in almost new condition)

IFF you have some left over, I'll take one. IOW, put me last of the list of requesters.

Thanks and good luck in Taipei. I think it'll be an unparalleled experience for your kids and they will be better for it.
04-17-2018, 03:27 AM
This sounds like it will be an exciting change for you and your family. I hope it goes well.

Pauli
04-17-2018, 10:33 AM
Hi Tim,

All the best wishes to you & your family. Also hope you remain as active as you have been in HP calculator software updates.

Cheers,

Michael
04-17-2018, 10:54 AM
I'm up for a 50g if one is going spare.........Big Grin
04-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Hello!

Wow - what a brave move! I think I would die within the first month from homesickness for those mountains and space around me and endless blue skies. For the kids it's going to be a great opportunity in every respect. Myself I also grew up in a foreign country - but with mountains - and am very grateful to my parents for that. Unfortunately we couldn't offer our son that chance. Good luck to all of you!

I am sure your calculators will all find a new home where they will be appreciated. I am mainly interested in vintage models (no LED - me no care much) and miss only a few in my collection, mainly the HP-27 and the HP-29C. If one of those is still available I would of course be interested...

Regards
Max
04-17-2018, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2018 11:20 AM by SlideRule.)
Living OCONUS can be very rewarding (many deployments (OIF, OEF, KDM, OSL, OSS etc) spanning 30 yrs; now retired, I feel a small twinge of envy.

BEST!
SlideRule

ps: documentation & a flashing cable could ameliorate my condition.
04-17-2018, 12:07 PM
I hear the food is amazing.

Have fun!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-17-2018, 01:24 PM
I add myself to the best wishes crew. You won't regret it, becoming an "expat" will open your mind in ways you don't even know yet. Have fun in Taiwan, best thing you can do is try to absorb as much as possible of the local culture.

My only concern is that relocation of the entire group is likely the beginning of the end for the calculator team. It will be relocated first, then some members get reassigned to other tasks "just because they are there", then there's no calculators team anymore.
Last time I worked for a big corp, they did just that: they offered to relocate a few of us "to very exciting new careers", then shot down the entire department and locked the doors.
I hope I'm wrong.
04-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Claudio has a point. I asked in another thread how is the prime (and prime APP) doing. As I see a lot of potential in it, but if it is not economically feasible, it will not supported anymore.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
04-17-2018, 02:15 PM
(04-17-2018 01:24 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  then shot down the entire department

shocked !!
... in broad daylight ?! Big Grin
04-17-2018, 02:29 PM
Hi Tim, congratulations for your relocation. It must not have been an easy decision to move all the family so far away.
I've visited both Fort Collins and Taipei and I can imagine that this will be a very bold change, but as others have already said it will also be a enriching experience. I suppose you've already been there so you have a rough idea of where you're going.
The food is great, people are nice, their culture is mix of a lot of different influences and there are some beautiful landscapes. You'll also have to face typhoons and earthquakes, a kind of mix of Houston and Silicon Valley Smile

(and btw I would welcome a 15C+, 15C LE, or even a 10BII+ or 39gii prototype Wink )
04-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Hi Tim,
I could use an (official!) HP30 programming cable and an HP50 if they are going spare. Thank you.

Richard
04-17-2018, 03:08 PM
(04-17-2018 01:24 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  My only concern is that relocation of the entire group is likely the beginning of the end for the calculator team. It will be relocated first, then some members get reassigned to other tasks "just because they are there", then there's no calculators team anymore.

Well, that is the weird thing. Basically, I am impacted and nobody else. All the other people work in different locations. It really is just a "I get swept up in it" type of thing.

With larger companies, you never know of course like you pointed out. Smile

TW

04-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Thank you for the wishes. Thank you also for people that have sent wishes privately.

Note that it will take a while (few weeks prob) before I really start looking at mailing things or responding to stuff. So don't worry if you don't receive a response immediately.

TW

04-17-2018, 03:22 PM
All the best, good luck, Tim!
To you and your family.

Thanks a lot for your effort and support here, very appreciated.

ciao Smile

Salvo

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)