HP29C Service Manual available
04-17-2018, 12:22 PM
HP29C Service Manual available
Hi everyone!
I have just gone to some considerable expense to purchase a photocopy of the 29C Service Manual, all 50 sides of it. I've scanned this in at hi res, fixed up many of the misalignments & blurry letters & dirt, & made it all into a PDF which I think is now a decent document. I'd like to make this freely available via the hpmuseum website somewhere. Could someone plz contact Dave Hicks about this - I think he may be the right person for this? I did offer him some other scans of ancient advertising & other related info some months ago via the website link, but haven't had any response from that route, so maybe that mechanism is broken.

Many thanks to Jim Johnson for his help with my 29C recently - it's now working fine again! 38.5 yrs old & still going strong...
Andy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2018, 12:52 PM
RE: HP29C Service Manual available
(04-17-2018 12:22 PM)AndyWalter Wrote:  Hi everyone!
I have just gone to some considerable expense to purchase a photocopy of the 29C Service Manual, all 50 sides of it. I've scanned this in at hi res, fixed up many of the misalignments & blurry letters & dirt, & made it all into a PDF which I think is now a decent document. I'd like to make this freely available via the hpmuseum website somewhere. Could someone plz contact Dave Hicks about this - I think he may be the right person for this? I did offer him some other scans of ancient advertising & other related info some months ago via the website link, but haven't had any response from that route, so maybe that mechanism is broken.

Many thanks to Jim Johnson for his help with my 29C recently - it's now working fine again! 38.5 yrs old & still going strong...
Andy

Dave is indeed the right person, perhaps he just happened to be busy at that time, he usually responds promptly; just try emailing again.

This is a nice contribution to the document collection, old service manuals like this are few and far between. In the interim, is it possible to host it on G-Drive, OneDrive, or DropBox and share a link here? It could be months to years before a new release of the document collection comes out, as contributions are not too frequent any more.

Thanks for sharing this with the community.

--Bob Prosperi
04-17-2018, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2018 03:10 PM by AndyWalter.)
Okay, here goes! Plz let me know if this link works ok for you, or not. I'm a very infrequent user of this service!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yh1e0dqtgg2k1...l.pdf?dl=0

Note: editted this link 24/Apr/2018 as had to replace the file after it vanished !!!
04-17-2018, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2018 08:11 PM by Zaphod.)
Works for me - downloaded for curiosity - very interesting ... we need more of these things
04-17-2018, 10:02 PM
No problem downloading this.

Thanks so much for sharing this Andy, it's nice to have this; in particular, the section that identifies the likely bad component based on failure on the current test step is interesting.

My 29C works perfectly, but I just need to test it to be sure.

--Bob Prosperi
04-18-2018, 06:00 AM
Wow, another service manual and for a Woodstock, fantastic job Andy and thanks a lot.

Ignazio
04-18-2018, 06:03 AM
Many thanks from my side, too. Download with dropbox link works flawlessy.
04-18-2018, 06:44 AM
Thanks a lot Andy, very generous!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2018, 08:24 AM
(04-17-2018 12:22 PM)AndyWalter Wrote:  I have just gone to some considerable expense to purchase a photocopy of the 29C Service Manual, all 50 sides of it. I've scanned this in at hi res, fixed up many of the misalignments & blurry letters & dirt, & made it all into a PDF which I think is now a decent document. I'd like to make this freely available via the hpmuseum website somewhere.

Great work on the scan ! Many thanks for sharing this document that will help preserving the 29Cs.
04-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Thank you!
04-18-2018, 12:17 PM
Many thanks for the Service Manual !!!
04-18-2018, 09:09 PM
Thanks Andy
That's very generous of you.
Graham
04-21-2018, 02:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2018 02:21 AM by Archilog.)
Many, many thanks, AndyWalter!

Really. You don't imagine how happy I am. Smile
04-21-2018, 08:17 AM
My 29C is working again!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
04-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to purchase and scan this. The link seems to be broken now. It says the file was removed. Can you put it back up or can someone send me a copy?

Thanks,
Dave
04-24-2018, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2018 03:07 PM by AndyWalter.)
You're right, everything's gone from that directory! Certainly by me; either I've somehow left the permissions so free that someone has tampered & deleted the lot, or I've exceedeed some quota & "the computer says no". I'll put them all back in there, and try to keep an eye on it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/89hnwducibhr7...jLk0a?dl=0

This link is to the folder, so hopefully that stays valid. Am not very experienced in the ways of Dropbox, tbh... - hints & tips welcome!
This folder has other scans dating to 1978, may be of minor interest.
04-24-2018, 02:36 PM
(04-17-2018 12:22 PM)AndyWalter Wrote:  Hi everyone!
I have just gone to some considerable expense to purchase a photocopy of the 29C Service Manual, all 50 sides of it.

Hi Andy,

First of all, thanks for making the manual available!
Just out of couriosity, where did you manage to acquire a copy of the manual? Maybe we could get other service manuals, too.

Cheers,
Harald
04-24-2018, 03:00 PM
As my 29C was playing up, and the battery pack wasn't that old, I felt sure it was something a bit more serious needing internal examination. So I hunted ... and hunted ... for a service manual for it. Finally found a photocopy on eBay, and it had 3 or 4 watchers. Was being sold by a French dealer in books/manuscripts I believe. Clearly had done his research as was described as "unfindable"! Finally got itchy fingers, and didn't want someone else buying it & so preventing me repairing mine, so splashed out. The actual quality of the photocopying was not up to modern standards, so I think the original copying was done years ago. Mine may be a copy of a copy for all I know. JC has very kindly donated me a 25 with working keyboard & display so I can do a Panamatix on it, as a thank-you for the doc. And I'm happy to see it finally in the public domain, and people benefitting from it.

Re my link above, I've put all the docs back in my folder, this time set them to read-only on Windows (no idea what Dropbox does in this respect), and I still have 725 MBytes available acc to Dropbox, so I have no idea why they vanished suddenly.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)