Poll: What do you use to write programs ?
Emulator on a computer
The calculator itself
[Show Results]

Emulator or calculator to write programs ?
05-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Emulator or calculator to write programs ?
I purchased my HP Prime a few weeks ago and I love it. I did not have so much pleasure at writing small programs since the 1980's, when I used a Sharp Pocket Computer (a PC-1211).

My question to more experienced users is : what do you use to write programs : the emuiator, or the calculator, or an external text editor ? For now I am using the calculator itself but I have the feeling I may be making my life more difficult than it needs to be.

Best regards

Enrico
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2018, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2018 08:29 PM by compsystems.)
RE: Emulator or calculator to write programs ?
I use PrimePAD a external editor, although the author stopped updating =(

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-36.html

[Image: Image%202014-03-31%20at%202.58.49%20PM.png]

[Image: primepad_soon.gif]
05-27-2018, 07:04 AM
HP Connetivity Kit

Viga C | TD | FB
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-27-2018, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2018 08:15 AM by pier4r.)
Hp connectivity kit. That is: keyboard of a pc, writing a program, testing it on the application (in this case, for example, on android).

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
05-27-2018, 08:21 AM
(05-27-2018 08:14 AM)pier4r Wrote:  Hp connectivity kit. That is: keyboard of a pc, writing a program, testing it on the application (in this case, for example, on android).

Thank you pier4r, you pointed me to the obvious solution that I was missing!
05-27-2018, 10:03 AM
I use the connectivity kit for the vast majority of my programming. If I have a LARGE program and need to due a lot of editing, (mostly for search and replace things), I copy the program from the CK, and paste it into Notepad ++. After the edits are complete, it's pasted back to the CK for the final work.

So the CK is great, but it NEEDS search/replace functionality, (and some other things)! Maybe if we all ask Tim, to -please- make enhancements to the CK, (in his ample spare time), we can do ALL those things we would like the CK to do!
05-27-2018, 10:57 AM
As long as the ConnKit cannot be used for simple editing with, at least, help for commands and syntax, I either use notepad++ or the emulator.
Arno
05-27-2018, 12:24 PM
Hello,
I mainly use the phisical Prime.
Big programs are splitted in many functions and i use the prime as an alternative to the laptop or the tablet.

Using the prime commuting or on the coach is unbeatable!

Thanks

Giancarlo
05-28-2018, 01:35 PM
I use the connkit with Primemon http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-794...70241.html

Tongue

My website: erwin.ried.cl
05-29-2018, 01:36 AM
For small programs I'll use the Connectivity Kit, but anything beyond say 30 lines I'll use Notepad++ with the very helpful UDL https://www.hpcalc.org/prime/pc/hplang.zip

Tried programming on the calculator once...
06-02-2018, 07:35 PM
I am trying BBEdit with this http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10627.html language module, and it looks great.
06-15-2018, 10:28 PM
You may want to try Programming Helper in the software library. There are are 4 .hpprgm files you can use with the CK editor that contains list of commands and Greek/math characters et all. You can open then in little windows and copy & paste their content into your programs. Save a lot of typing.

BM
06-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Most of the time, I use the calculator. For more complex programs with lots of text, I use the emulator.
06-17-2018, 07:31 AM
Like many others here, I use the text editor in the ConnKit or Notepad++ and the emulator.
06-19-2018, 10:58 PM
Has anybody found that copying and pasting from the connectivity kit editor into Notepad++ loses any HP Prime special symbols like ▶ ?
Or rather, those characters turn into weird wrong symbols once in Notepad++.
06-20-2018, 05:16 AM
(06-19-2018 10:58 PM)tcab Wrote:  Has anybody found that copying and pasting from the connectivity kit editor into Notepad++ loses any HP Prime special symbols like ▶ ?
Or rather, those characters turn into weird wrong symbols once in Notepad++.

Nope. Because I never use them. There's always a way to get the job done without using weird characters that can't be typed directly on a PC/Mac keyboard or could end up getting mangled.

Instead of:

Code:
0▶A

Use:

Code:
A := 0
06-20-2018, 01:56 PM
(05-26-2018 06:39 PM)enricor Wrote:  My question to more experienced users is : what do you use to write programs : the emuiator, or the calculator, or an external text editor ?

The poll above does not have "external text editor" as an option.

The short answer is, "it depends".

Short programs I write directly on the calculator.

Long programs I use a text editor (vi), and then import to emulator or calculator (if possible). I do this for any calculator model. Even keystroke programming. If emulators are available I prefer to use them first, then do final testing on the calc.

Specific to the Prime (which I have not programmed since January 2014, last prime program: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-317.html) I used vi on my Mac. I also had to convert with iconv between UTF-16LE and UTF-8 when moving programs back and forth. Unsure if this is still the case.
06-25-2018, 07:07 PM
As mentioned by others my preference depends on the job at hand.

I use the Prime on the road when a few minutes become available. Working on larger programs is more difficult but it forces me to remember off screen details. Also, using the Prime helped me learn key and menu pull down locations.

On the other hand, a 2 display pc is convenient: Prime emulator on one display and connectivity kit on the other.
07-04-2018, 03:31 PM
none of the alternatives. See http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-5332.html

Leo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)