Simplifying a product of radical expressions: Univariate
06-12-2018, 02:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2018 01:49 AM by nerdtopia.)
Simplifying a product of radical expressions: Univariate
[Image: jtvivb]

I'm trying to simplify this problem on the HP Prime in the CAS mode

I type this into the calculator:

https://prnt.sc/jtvk4g

and the calculator gives me this result:

[Image: jtvki5]

The answer I'm looking for is this:

[Image: jtvksz]

I know these two expressions are equivalent, but one is more simplified than the other. The simplified version I'm looking for removes the unnecessary radical symbol that contains just the "y" by itself and instead put under the radical with the "2". Is there any way I can make the Prime do this?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2018, 07:22 AM
RE: Simplifying a product of radical expressions: Univariate
[Image: radsimp.jpg]

Please note that sqrt(y^5) won't be simplified because it depends on the value of y (you have to consider negatives non-reals).
Try changing "Simplify" to "Maximum" and checkmarking "Use i".
Best,

Aries Wink
Find all posts by this user
08-26-2018, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2018 11:23 AM by parisse.)
to nerdtopia: simplify returns 5*sqrt(2)*sqrt(y)*y^4, I don't understand why you consider 5*sqrt(2*y)*y^4 to be more simplified. I don't think you can collect sqrt(2) and sqrt(y), because the sqrt do not apply on the same kind of objects.

to Aries: since you are (almost?) always giving comments for the TI Nspire, I wonder if you observed that the forum title is "HP Prime"? I believe people here are primarily expecting answers and comments for the HP Prime, not for the TI Nspire, otherwise they would go to TI forums. I believe that it's not wrong to make sometimes a comparison with other calculators, but frankly speaking, it's irritating to see (almost?) all your posts that never give additional value about the HP Prime (and always seems to be a variation of "it's so much better with the Nspire").
08-26-2018, 03:55 PM
(08-26-2018 11:21 AM)parisse Wrote:  <
<
<
to Aries: since you are (almost?) always giving comments for the TI Nspire, I wonder if you observed that the forum title is "HP Prime"? I believe people here are primarily expecting answers and comments for the HP Prime, not for the TI Nspire, otherwise they would go to TI forums. I believe that it's not wrong to make sometimes a comparison with other calculators, but frankly speaking, it's irritating to see (almost?) all your posts that never give additional value about the HP Prime (and always seems to be a variation of "it's so much better with the Nspire").

I agree with Parisse. It's much more informative, and useful, when responses relate directly to the hp prime. The emulator is available, if you don't have an hp prime, and the hardware is available if you would like to expand your experience. That way we can all take advantage of posted information as it pertains to the hp prime.

-Dale-
08-26-2018, 08:45 PM
(08-26-2018 03:55 PM)DrD Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 11:21 AM)parisse Wrote:  <
<
<

I agree with Parisse. It's much more informative, and useful, when responses relate directly to the hp prime. The emulator is available, if you don't have an hp prime, and the hardware is available if you would like to expand your experience. That way we can all take advantage of posted information as it pertains to the hp prime.

-Dale-

I agree with Dale about agreeing with Parisse
Let's focus on the Prime thing: the HP Prime

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)