HP Quick Calc
06-20-2018, 01:39 PM
RE: HP Quick Calc
(06-20-2018 11:15 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  By the way, the HP Quick Calc is one of the very few simple modern day calculators that does not have a square root key (see here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10670.html) and therefore an exotic device in it's own right!

I wonder if there is one hidden under the "hp" logo? Smile

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2018, 02:55 PM
"hard to imagine needing square root in the kitchen"

I use it for scaling cake tin sizes.
06-20-2018, 03:56 PM
(06-20-2018 02:55 PM)rncgray Wrote:  "hard to imagine needing square root in the kitchen"

I use it for scaling cake tin sizes.

I want to eat at your house. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
06-20-2018, 05:16 PM
(06-20-2018 12:38 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(06-20-2018 05:17 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Quick Calc is a simple 4 ops calculator (sometimes, I wish it was five)...

What is your desired 5th function, I'd guess square root since you mentioned tools in the shop (hard to imagine needing square root in the kitchen)?

The "pie" function would be more useful in the kitchen. Smile

— Ian Abbott
06-20-2018, 05:38 PM
Looks like an old lady calculator to me. No one under age 75 need apply.
• Big display
• Not too many buttons.
• No "confusing functions you'll never use".
• The need to include a % key.
• Refrigerator magnet.

Looks like a total dud destined for the Dollar Store.
06-20-2018, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2018 06:28 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(06-20-2018 05:38 PM)burkhard Wrote:  Looks like an old lady calculator to me. No one under age 75 need apply.

I think you grossly underestimate 75 year old women :-) This would be the generation of my mom. They take pride in being able to do their day-to-day calculations without the use of a calculator. They still learned to do that at school and never lost the ability. I wish I could say that about myself!

Anyway, even with that big(ish) display, the keys and key lettering of the Quick Calc are too small even for a person of my age to be used without reading glasses, so definitely no machine for the elderly.

Regards
Max
06-21-2018, 02:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2018 02:36 AM by Mark Hardman.)
While we're on the topic of these low-end Kinpo models, does anyone have an OfficeCalc 300? I did at one time, but no more.

[Image: officecalc300.png]

So, what is missing from this calculator?

When I realized the omission, the one I had just purchased took a quick flight into the garbage can.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
06-21-2018, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2018 07:46 AM by ijabbott.)
(06-21-2018 02:35 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  While we're on the topic of these low-end Kinpo models, does anyone have an OfficeCalc 300? I did at one time, but no more.

[image]

So, what is missing from this calculator?

When I realized the omission, the one I had just purchased took a quick flight into the garbage can.

No 'OFF' button, but does it really need one?

EDIT

No '+/-' button!

— Ian Abbott
06-21-2018, 07:56 AM
(06-21-2018 02:35 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  So, what is missing from this calculator?

A magnet on the back perhaps? But I really don't know because I never bothered to remove mine from it's blister package.
06-21-2018, 08:19 AM
For me it's good enough for my desk.

What I miss, maybe I it is there but cannot find it, is a direct way to calculate % changes (like the HP 10 bii+ does).
06-21-2018, 01:12 PM
(06-21-2018 07:42 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  No 'OFF' button, but does it really need one?

EDIT

No '+/-' button!

I discovered the lack of +/-, but missed the lack of an OFF button.

Both are sufficient for not using it, I think, but like Max, mine is still sealed in it's original pkg. so I've never checked it out in person. While possibly too frustrating to use, I'm not sure I have the intestinal fortitude to throw it out.

Also, the display appears to use thousands separator symbols at the top of the numbers, though the decimal point is in the normal bottom location. This too I'd find annoying; the manual (the full half-page that is) offers no indication that this can be changed.

It seems leaving it in its package was the right call.

--Bob Prosperi
06-28-2018, 11:46 PM
(06-19-2018 09:26 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I just found an eBay listing for a pair of "Copper Brown Metal Pocket Calculators", in a pkg style of printed card stock with clear bubble over the device (which is different pkg than the units I have) so this should make the color more clear. Until they arrive, I'm sticking with "Gray".

I received the pair of "Bronze" Quick Calc machines. There apparently were at least 2 different packaging styles for these; one (older or newer, I'm not sure, they both say (c) 2008) is printed card-stock with a bubble over the calc on the front, the other style is a wraparound printed card stock with small 'cut-out' ears on both sides so you can see which color machine is in the package. The pair of new units are the former style with the clear plastic bubble, affording a much better view of the unit's color.

Verdict: The color does have a slight brownish tint, but does not look like any bronze I've ever seen, including other devices from HP called Bronze. It doesn't sound right, but I'd call it a brownish-grey. If you knew there were only 4 colors and asked to pick out the Bronze one, you probably would pick this, but if it was just sitting on a table, and you pointed it out, very few folks would describe it as Bronze colored.

No doubt the color was selected and 'named' by the genius marketing team that carefully hand-selected the initial Prime keyboard color scheme.... so many colors to choose from, yet so many bad decisions...

--Bob Prosperi
07-01-2018, 02:44 PM
The quickcalcs were actually quite popular and always sold really well. Didn't really make any money on them though, they were primarily designed as handouts/gifts at conventions and similar things so I think in the end it basically broke even if I had to guess.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)