WP 34S -- Mode Data store with STOM
07-02-2018, 03:53 PM
WP 34S -- Mode Data store with STOM
On the WP 34S, using the STOM command it is possible to save all the "mode data" to one of the normal numbered storage registers.

The mode data are basically system flags that control angle mode, date formats, contrast settings and a bunch of other things. Per the v3.3 manual, there are 64 bits in the mode data.

I would expect that if I set the word size (WSIZE) to 64, I should be able to STOM 00 to store all the mode data to register 00 and then look at it (in base 2 mode) via RCL 00.
Because of the display width limitation, you won't of course be able to see all 64 bits at once, but can page through it (using arrow keys) 8 bits at a time. Thus, I'd expect to see 64 bits spread over 8 pages, 8 bits per page.

It almost does what I would expect, but not quite. When I do the RCL 00, I see bits 0→52, but not the whole 64 bits. So I have 6 pages of 8 bits plus an additional 5 bits on the highest page (53 bits in total, not 64).

So what's going on? Why don't I see all 64 bits? It works the same way on the hardware (v3.3T b3901) and on the iOS emulator.

Is there some limitation in the width of the storage register such that it can only hold 53 bits? If so, that would seem to defeat the point of STOM, because you'd only be able to restore the mode settings for the lowest 53 bits via RCLM.

Thanks for any clarification,
burkhard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2018, 10:19 PM
RE: WP 34S -- Mode Data store with STOM
Have you got leading zero display enabled?

Pauli
07-03-2018, 02:23 AM
(07-02-2018 10:19 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Have you got leading zero display enabled?

Pauli

DOOOAH!
You are quite right, Pauli; that was the problem. LZOFF (which is the default) was just suppressing the upper zeros. When I set LZON, all is perfect: eight pages of eight bits.

Thanks!
07-03-2018, 02:34 AM
Be careful modifying the bits in this word. It is possible to create impossible configurations and we make no guarantees that the calculator won't explode killing the user in such cases.

If you are seeking to understand what the bits are doing, it would be better to examine the source code. To begin, look for struct _ustate in this file.

Pauli
07-03-2018, 03:15 AM
(07-03-2018 02:34 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  It is possible to create impossible configurations and we make no guarantees that the calculator won't explode killing the user in such cases.

LOL, This will be the best line of the week, even though it's only Monday. Smile Smile

Thanks Pauli!

--Bob Prosperi
07-03-2018, 04:24 AM
Спасибо
Danke
Баярлалаа
どうもありがとうございます

Smile
07-03-2018, 11:17 AM
(07-03-2018 03:15 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 02:34 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  It is possible to create impossible configurations and we make no guarantees that the calculator won't explode killing the user in such cases.

LOL, This will be the best line of the week, even though it's only Monday. Smile Smile

Thanks Pauli!

He's right though, it happened to me once.

I got better.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2018, 11:33 AM
(07-03-2018 11:17 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 03:15 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  LOL, This will be the best line of the week, even though it's only Monday. :) :)

Thanks Pauli!

He's right though, it happened to me once.

I got better.

So you were killed and then came back?
Hello JC! ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2018, 04:22 PM
(07-03-2018 02:34 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Be careful modifying the bits in this word. It is possible to create impossible configurations and we make no guarantees that the calculator won't explode killing the user in such cases.

It does come with a lifetime guarantee though.

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)