HP Prime corrupting programs
07-28-2018, 12:08 PM
RE: HP Prime corrupting programs
I didn't say my date and time were totally wrong. It was a matter of a few seconds on the time only because I didn't set it second-accurate the first go-round. So I would suggest that you vary your time settings each time you RESET and see if that changes "Memory" for you. Because that's all I did "differently" after each reset.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2018, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2018 01:04 PM by ijabbott.)
(07-28-2018 12:08 PM)JDW Wrote:  I didn't say my date and time were totally wrong. It was a matter of a few seconds on the time only because I didn't set it second-accurate the first go-round. So I would suggest that you vary your time settings each time you RESET and see if that changes "Memory" for you. Because that's all I did "differently" after each reset.

Yes, the memory changed slightly after fiddling with the time (or fiddling with anything, actually), but the storage remained the same.

Actually, I don't know how to set the time to the nearest second.

EDIT: The time can be set precisely to the second by setting the Time variable, but I don't think it can be set to the second in the initial / home settings.

β€” Ian Abbott
07-30-2018, 12:20 PM
(07-28-2018 12:48 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Actually, I don't know how to set the time to the nearest second.

EDIT: The time can be set precisely to the second by setting the Time variable, but I don't think it can be set to the second in the initial / home settings.

The time also gets sync'ed to your computer's clock when you connect the Prime and fire up the ConnKit.
07-30-2018, 11:56 PM
(07-30-2018 12:20 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  The time also gets sync'ed to your computer's clock when you connect the Prime and fire up the ConnKit.

Thank you for that useful information. I didn't know that. But that would also imply the memory will get fiddled with at that time too.
07-31-2018, 07:44 AM
(07-30-2018 11:56 PM)JDW Wrote:  Thank you for that useful information. I didn't know that. But that would also imply the memory will get fiddled with at that time too.

That's a given. Data structures will be set up and drivers started when something is plugged into the USB port. This is regardless of whether or not the date is changed.
07-31-2018, 10:13 AM
(07-31-2018 07:44 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(07-30-2018 11:56 PM)JDW Wrote:  Thank you for that useful information. I didn't know that. But that would also imply the memory will get fiddled with at that time too.

That's a given. Data structures will be set up and drivers started when something is plugged into the USB port. This is regardless of whether or not the date is changed.

What about two Primes connected by the USB Micro-A to Micro-B cable? Does the sender update the time on the receiver?

β€” Ian Abbott
07-31-2018, 10:21 AM
(07-31-2018 10:13 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  What about two Primes connected by the USB Micro-A to Micro-B cable? Does the sender update the time on the receiver?

Good question. I'll have to investigate that when I can remember to take my work Prime home (or bring my home Prime to work). I do have two Rev. C Primes but they're rarely in the same place!
07-31-2018, 09:48 PM
ijabbott Wrote:What about two Primes connected by the USB Micro-A to Micro-B cable? Does the sender update the time on the receiver?

It seems that the answer is NO. I just tried with two HW rev C Primes. The time was never sent from one Prime to the other, regardless of which Prime was A or B, and even after performing a Clone from one to the other, once A to B, and once B to A.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2018, 09:00 AM
What about the available memory inconsistency? Someone is thinking about this from the boot init prspective?
08-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Just because the Prime's memory management and the amount of available memory it displays is mysterious, it doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem. Although if the sequence following FORMAT and RESET is minimal and exactly the same each time, I would expect the results to be consistent.

β€” Ian Abbott
08-01-2018, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2018 05:45 PM by scorpio72.)
Indeed if the result isn't consistent, there is a problem (HW or SW), in IT world, 1 or 0.
02-23-2019, 07:59 PM
I have the same problem with syntax errors which definately are no errors. They occur in bigger programs at positions which are not reproducable while the emulator works well on the same code!!
This is not acceptable.
The calculator is in competition with smarthones and should work in a deterministic and correct way.
Please HP guys check the newest device with the newest firmware with the for years running programs in the forums. Easiest check the games.
There is something wrong, definately.
Hope the next firmware fixes the problems.
Thanks
Dr. Andreas Keibel
03-03-2019, 12:00 AM
don't know if it's related but there is a "quirk" in the HP Prime system that makes programming very difficult.
Programs need to be "compiled" on board.
Here's the problem, if you have say two programs that have calls to Subs in each other, you will never be able to re-compile them once they have been removed say by doing a memory clear.
You copy them back in, and calculator tries to compile but can't because the other program hasn't been compiled. It's a Catch-22.
I have a program that is complex. Once I cleared and loaded for a OS Update, there was no way to run the program. Too many interdependent calls.
Only thing I haven't done yet is to combine all code into one Monster file. Yuck

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)