New firmware upcoming
05-24-2014, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 06:22 PM by eried.)
RE: New firmware upcoming
(05-24-2014 12:28 PM)cutterjohn Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 04:54 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  There are several good reasons. I can't speak for all "early adopters", but I certainly enjoy being one, and IMHO the phenomenon is explained very well here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_adopter
Silly me. I expect a finished product when something is generally offered at retail, instead of finished hardware plus just shown the oven firmware.

I suppose that next time I run out to buy a car I shouldn't feel obliged to complain if it's missing a few tires...

Anyways, I wouldn't expect an update soon, as it's Memorial Day weekend in the US... maybe late next week...

You wouldn't buy an unfinished life support device either, isn't the same thing. I would buy a software with some bugs, a game, a phone. They are built for a price, they reach the golden master release probably when major bugs are fixed but all the low/medium priority ones are nowadays addressed in updates.

In the other hand, I preordered the prime just because I like hp calculators, I don't have real use for it and it is quite buggy right now and makes me angry that it reboots so many times and loses what you were editing, but I am 100% sure that it will reach at least some stable state before they release the next updated device and forget this one.

BTW, I learnt some USB sniffing, basic battery consumption analysis, chip8 architecture and "almost" got another free prime calculator so from my perspective, the calculator was already by far free. Finally, IMHO if this calculator was for my final ultra-important exams: then I would agreed with you.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2014, 05:05 PM
HP just announced......50,000 people will likely be laid off.

50,000!

Draw your own conclusions about firmware updates.
Find all posts by this user
05-26-2014, 08:10 PM
(05-26-2014 05:05 PM)Craig Thomas Wrote:  HP just announced......50,000 people will likely be laid off.

50,000!

Draw your own conclusions about firmware updates.

That's probably because all these notebook-stoves HP produce, not because couple of lovely calculators.

05-27-2014, 03:43 AM
If TW ges laid off maybe he will walk out with a new firmware for us Smile
05-27-2014, 10:12 AM
(05-27-2014 03:43 AM)Dougggg Wrote:  If TW ges laid off maybe he will walk out with a new firmware for us Smile

Perhaps he will share useful sailing programs, as he spends many years sailing around the world enjoying the freedom to do what he wants, when he wants. The reward for him might be incalculable!
05-27-2014, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 12:24 PM by toml_12953.)
Quote:Silly me. I expect a finished product when something is generally offered at retail, instead of finished hardware plus just shown the oven firmware.
You'll never buy a computer, then. No PC (that includes Macs) has ever been shipped without some bugs in it. That's why they put BIOS or UEFI in flash memory - so it can be updated in the field. That's why there's Microsoft Patch Tuesday. If a vendor *doesn't* come out with fixes because they say there's nothing to fix *then* I worry about the product.

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-27-2014, 03:19 PM
You can't compare that.... A product like a calculator may have bugs when shipped. It is likely to have bugs, but you can expect that you get a well thought product and of course a product that does not have obvious flaws. These flaws where reported soon after launch, are still reported and you can only hope that HP will care about them.

Would you do the PC comparison when talking about a TV, your gps, your alarm clock? Coffee maker? Your multimeters, scopes and so on?

At this point I would love to receive a signal of HP that says, yes there are many aspects we ignored at the beggining, BUT we care about these issues. You, the customer is heard.
05-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Hi,

It seems that the new update is in. I was automatically updated and the version at the emulator now indicates : Version 2014 3 31 Rev:6031

Regards,

Miguel
05-27-2014, 08:16 PM
As it was told before.
Quote:The ones who tells don't know, and
The ones who knows can't tell.

Now you can see a grat amount of work was done. Smile

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
05-27-2014, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 10:28 PM by Michael de Estrada.)
Just successfully updated the Connectivity Kit and Prime firmware. It is totally automated now, and should work flawlessly on most PCs. You do have to click "Check for update" in the CK to get the ball rolling, and update the CK first before the firmware can be installed. As soon as you connect the Prime with the USB cable, you will be prompted on the Windows desktop to proceed with the update. I have Windows 7 on my PC and connected directly to one of its USB2 ports, and not to a hub.

I noticed that the software version is slightly different between the Emulator and physical Prime: 2014 3 31 (6031) on the Emulator and 2014 3 31 (6030) on the Prime.

Also, all the Home and CAS settings will be reset, Home and CAS histories erased.
05-27-2014, 10:35 PM
(05-27-2014 10:21 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  Just successfully updated the Connectivity Kit and Prime firmware.
Also, all the Home and CAS settings will be reset, Home and CAS histories erased.

Are the programs lost?

-Jonathan
05-27-2014, 11:07 PM
(05-27-2014 10:35 PM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 10:21 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  Just successfully updated the Connectivity Kit and Prime firmware.

Are the programs lost?

-Jonathan

No, the programs are still there, however all data and user variables are gone.
05-27-2014, 11:14 PM
(05-27-2014 11:07 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 10:35 PM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  Are the programs lost?

-Jonathan

No, the programs are still there, however all data and user variables are gone.

On my handheld, it appears that all the data in user created Spreadsheets is also deleted. I tried using SEND from my not yet updated emulator but the spreadsheets would not xfer to the handheld.

I did save a backup .zip for my handheld before updating.

Any thoughts on how to restore or xfer the prior spreadsheets?
05-27-2014, 11:16 PM
(05-27-2014 11:14 PM)CR Haeger Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 11:07 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  No, the programs are still there, however all data and user variables are gone.

On my handheld, it appears that all the data in user created Spreadsheets is also deleted. I tried using SEND from my not yet updated emulator but the spreadsheets would not xfer to the handheld.

Create a new one and paste the data into the CK?

05-28-2014, 12:10 AM
(05-27-2014 11:14 PM)CR Haeger Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 11:07 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  No, the programs are still there, however all data and user variables are gone.

I tried doing a restore on a previous backup of the Prime and it didn't work. It just wiped it clean, including programs. I also couldn't get the spreadsheets to restore on the Emulator, although it did restore programs and data. So I don't know how I can recover the spreadsheets, some of which are very lengthy. Aaaaaaaggg !

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)