Firmware Upgrade Woes
08-31-2018, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2018 06:50 AM by Nick Taylor.)
Firmware Upgrade Woes
I spent much of last night trying to update my HP Prime (HW: A) to the latest firmware version.

Only one file (of 3) is being transferred as part of the update, and I end up with the “fuzzy display” mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

I’ve tried various tricks suggested by TW to get the second file to transfer:
1) USB 2.0 Hub
2) Resetting and pressing “SYMB” to reboot in Update Mode.

Whatever I try, the second file never gets transferred.

The version (of the updater) mentioned on the calculator when it restarts is V13, which I believe is old?

Are there any other tricks that I can try in order to get the firmware to update?

Thanks

Nick
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2018, 06:34 AM
RE: Firmware Upgrade Woes
Leave the updater running, and after the first file bar stops unplug the calculator when the file send bar "hangs" and then plug it back in. Does that unstick it and send the next file?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-31-2018, 06:42 AM
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your very fast reply!

I have left the updater running, and have unplugged, replugged several times.

I can’t see a way to switch the calculator off when the update fails, so I pin-reset it. If I hold down SYMB at this point, it restarts the updater on the calculator. I’ve tried replugging it at this point too, but the updater on the PC just sits there. I know the PC registers the rebooted calculator as it appears as a disk at that point.

Is there any way (command line switches?) to force the updater to send the second and third files without waiting?

I’m willing to try anything you suggest.

Thanks again,

Nick
08-31-2018, 10:12 AM
Just let it sit and wait after it is re detected. I've heard at least one person report it take up to 10 minutes for windows to decide the device has been connected again...

So again, unplug after the first one, then replug, then come back later. Repeat if needed.

TW

08-31-2018, 10:21 AM
One thing that I'd like to add at this point is the fact that you won't have to go through with this painful experience next time there's an update. The inner workings of the process went through a major overhaul a version or two ago and the whole thing is much, much smoother nowadays!

Stick with it. It'll be worth it in the end!
09-03-2018, 07:17 AM
Thank you both for your replies.

I had another go at the weekend. Despite leaving the Prime connected after a brief disconnect, it didn’t ever continue the update for me.

In the end, I downloaded the oldest version of the Connectivity Kit from the HP site that I could find in the Archive folder, and manually added the December 2017 firmware to it.

This setup resulted in all three files being updated immediately.

I was then able to install the July 2018 update using the latest version of the Connectivity Kit. As you mentioned, the update process seems much simpler in this latest release.

So, I’m there. Many thanks.
09-03-2018, 07:37 AM
Very strange. Glad it worked for you in the end however.

TW

09-03-2018, 08:09 AM
(09-03-2018 07:17 AM)Nick Taylor Wrote:  Thank you both for your replies.

I had another go at the weekend. Despite leaving the Prime connected after a brief disconnect, it didn’t ever continue the update for me.

In the end, I downloaded the oldest version of the Connectivity Kit from the HP site that I could find in the Archive folder, and manually added the December 2017 firmware to it.

This setup resulted in all three files being updated immediately.

I was then able to install the July 2018 update using the latest version of the Connectivity Kit. As you mentioned, the update process seems much simpler in this latest release.

So, I’m there. Many thanks.

I bookmarked this page because of the above trick

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)