Evolution
09-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Evolution

How does one (as opposed to the Royal "We" ) climb the greasy pole of the Forum?
That is how do members go from Kindergarten Member, Small Child Member, Junior Member, Member, Senior Member etc. all the way up to Yoda Member and finally Jedhi Knight?
Is it based purely on (1) the number of new posts you've published (2) 1 plus the number of posts you've replied to and helped someone with or (3) Membership of Mensa?
Is there a 'Glass ceiling"; do Administrators monitor for this or is the process totally automatic, changing your status by counting the number of posts and/or threads an individual has clocked up.
Presumably I could just write a 'bot' that pretended to be and make it look like I was on the Forum 24 x 7 and never slept?
One of the reasons I ask is that if (2) is part of the process, then it's possible eventually to become Jedhi Knight just by hijacking every post with comments that contribute nothing to the answer (if required). Another way would be to keep publishing 'spam' type posts whose only purpose is to increase an individual's Forum Status - bit like this post in fact?

Denny Tuckerman
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2018, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2018 05:15 PM by Zaphod.)
RE: Evolution
Quote:do Administrators monitor for this or is the process totally automatic, changing your status by counting the number of posts and/or threads an individual has clocked up.

Lol ..... admin and mods have day jobs and much better things to do than count up posts on an ad-hoc basis

Software has come on a lot since .... well ....its introduction , it’s not rocket science to ‘program’ it on mybb based on several stats

An example is https://mods.mybb.com/view/ranks
Find all posts by this user
09-03-2018, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2018 05:18 PM by Albert Chan.)
If I remember correctly, 50 posts, you lose the JUNIOR status.
From thread Are we top heavy?, 300 posts (as of 2015), you becomes a SENIOR.

But, who cares ? I want to stay young !
09-03-2018, 09:31 PM
I don't know what you mean with the meaningles posts? Anyone soon notice who do post solid information and who is just dusting their tomb. The evolution you are referring is also called post rank, presumably a feature evolved in some hippier circles than math geeks and calculator nuts.
09-04-2018, 01:56 PM
Way to ruin an otherwise nice morning... this thread just triggered my midlife crisis (because I looked at my post count). Did I really post more than a thousand times in a "museum" forum of dying products? Thanks to the OP, now I feel old, decayed, obsolete and completely "uncool".
We should have a "rejuvenate" button to subtract 500 posts!
09-04-2018, 03:36 PM
(09-04-2018 01:56 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Way to ruin an otherwise nice morning... this thread just triggered my midlife crisis (because I looked at my post count). Did I really post more than a thousand times in a "museum" forum of dying products? Thanks to the OP, now I feel old, decayed, obsolete and completely "uncool".
We should have a "rejuvenate" button to subtract 500 posts!

Oh, relax. That's only 0.776 posts per day. I don't think you're anywhere near pathologically obsessed! Besides, everyone's hobby looks lame to some people. Perhaps the best part of getting older is learning not to worry about what a bunch of random strangers might think. Smile
09-09-2018, 02:45 PM
I've just noticed something else - I have a 'Warning Level - 0%' set at the top right underneath my joined date! Is this like the glowing boards in The City The City as nobody else seems to have one, a bit dystopian.

Denny Tuckerman
09-09-2018, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2018 02:56 PM by Valentin Albillo.)
(09-09-2018 02:45 PM)Leviset Wrote:  I've just noticed something else - I have a 'Warning Level - 0%' set at the top right underneath my joined date! Is this like the glowing boards in The City The City as nobody else seems to have one, a bit dystopian.

Everybody has one and everybody sees just his/her own warning level.

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

09-09-2018, 07:05 PM
(09-04-2018 01:56 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  We should have a "rejuvenate" button to subtract 500 posts!

NewClaudio will do.
09-09-2018, 07:59 PM
(09-04-2018 01:56 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  ...We should have a "rejuvenate" button to subtract 500 posts!

"Carousel" Button! :-)
09-09-2018, 09:41 PM
(09-09-2018 07:59 PM)BobVA Wrote:  
(09-04-2018 01:56 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  ...We should have a "rejuvenate" button to subtract 500 posts!

"Carousel" Button! :-)

Hm, so how do I gain experience? "Add" 500 posts, as it were? My post counter will be considerably out of whack if I do more than one of those...
[Post 5490]
[Post 2126]
[Post 948]
[Post 427]

(Post 278 - gained honestly)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)