Performance of iOS app vs calculator
09-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Performance of iOS app vs calculator
First off, the obligatory huge Thank You to HP for not only building the Greatest Calculator Of All Time, but also making it available as an app for iOS and Android!!

I have been playing with the lite version on my iPhone and iPad for a while, and blown away by its capabilities and also it’s blistering performance.

I’m now faced with a dilemma - do I buy the pro version, or the real thing?!

One factor that might influence my decision is performance - is the actual calculator as fast/faster/slower than the emulator? I’m guessing my iPhone 8 has a much faster processor, but on the other hand you’d expect an emulation to add a level of performance degradation, not to mention the possibility of hardware optimisation on the physical calculator.

Thanks in advance for any experience or advice.

Sven
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2018, 07:19 PM
RE: Performance of iOS app vs calculator
There is no emulation this time (yay!). The calculator code is in C so it is compiled for the targer platform. I bought it on android and it is blazing fast on a nvidia shield k1 (or a samsung galaxy s5) and what not. The real calculator is pretty fast too.

Here one of the benchmark: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9750.html there are others around.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
09-10-2018, 05:32 AM
Hello,

IOs version runs faster than the real calculator, even the G2 version. This is due to the fact that, as stated above, it is not an emulator but the same calculator code compiled for IOs...

So, what you get is the equivalent of running code on a 386 on one side and a 486 (or pentium) on the other side.

Prime G2 is FAST (you have probably seen the benchmarks on other threads), but an iPhone CPU is faster (in Ghz range, not in 500Mhz as G2), giving a lot of extra boost.

However, a real calculator has a real keyboard which makes a big difference.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
09-10-2018, 10:48 AM
(09-10-2018 05:32 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  However, a real calculator has a real keyboard which makes a big difference.

This. Especially without tacticle feedback touchscreen (when under 8'') are a pain to use.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
09-10-2018, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2018 07:08 PM by CyberAngel.)
(09-10-2018 05:32 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

IOs version runs faster than the real calculator, even the G2 version. This is due to the fact that, as stated above, it is not an emulator but the same calculator code compiled for IOs...

So, what you get is the equivalent of running code on a 386 on one side and a 486 (or pentium) on the other side.

Prime G2 is FAST (you have probably seen the benchmarks on other threads), but an iPhone CPU is faster (in Ghz range, not in 500Mhz as G2), giving a lot of extra boost.

However, a real calculator has a real keyboard which makes a big difference.

Cyrille

Since HP has no financial grounds to use the iPhone CPU
I have to buy the fastest iPhone alive...
OR
Maybe the new Snapdragon 1000 on a laptop (2019)?
but
dreams aside. Cyrille, the limits of iteration, recursion, etc has to be lifted
The Prime is not a small RAM calculator
Say...100 -> (2^31)-1
okay?
09-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the replies - interesting to hear that the iOS app is natively compiled, and hence so fast.

But of course you're also right that proper keys is the real differentiator here!

thanks

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)