Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS
06-11-2020, 04:00 AM
RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS
(06-09-2020 07:48 PM)parkerlreed Wrote:  Any chance of the Connectivity Kit having a beta for Linux? I currently have no way to send anything to my new G2 as I only use Linux.
Although this may take some work, I think it would be really worth it for the many Linux (and Chrome Book?) users out there. TI already released a Chrome Book connectivity software, you're falling behind HP! Smile

Cemetech | YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2020, 02:38 PM
Is there any development on the Linux front?

I would really like the HP Connectivity Kit on Linux as that would greatly improve my workflow and be much easier to recommend it to colleagues and friends.

For me the old version of the HP Prime Calculator appimage is working very well, but it annoys me how hard it is to get my application onto the HP Prime when working on Linux.
Otherwise a small program to sideload the application or an API/protocol to do it without relying on Windows or MacOS, but instead open software like Linux.

I really hope that HP Prime on Linux has not been abandonned.
Find all posts by this user
06-19-2020, 01:48 AM
(06-11-2020 04:00 AM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  
(06-09-2020 07:48 PM)parkerlreed Wrote:  Any chance of the Connectivity Kit having a beta for Linux? I currently have no way to send anything to my new G2 as I only use Linux.
Although this may take some work, I think it would be really worth it for the many Linux (and Chrome Book?) users out there. TI already released a Chrome Book connectivity software, you're falling behind HP! Smile

I'm planning to buy a Chrome Book for Android Medical Software (and perhaps some gaming).
HP Prime Connectivity Kit on it sounds great! I hope it happens one day...
- -
VPN
06-19-2020, 12:18 PM
Quote:Is there any development on the Linux front?

I would really like the HP Connectivity Kit on Linux as that would greatly improve my workflow and be much easier to recommend it to colleagues and friends.

For me the old version of the HP Prime Calculator appimage is working very well, but it annoys me how hard it is to get my application onto the HP Prime when working on Linux.
Otherwise a small program to sideload the application or an API/protocol to do it without relying on Windows or MacOS, but instead open software like Linux.

I really hope that HP Prime on Linux has not been abandonned.

+1
I hope for a connectivity kit on linux, too.

regards
Reiner
09-17-2020, 01:56 AM
Bump. ¿?
09-23-2020, 11:55 PM
It's been 9 months since the last firmware version, hopefully at the time of the health emergency, the hpprime development group had enough time to code a very good update =] =)
09-24-2020, 07:16 PM
(09-23-2020 11:55 PM)compsystems Wrote:  It's been 9 months since the last firmware version, hopefully at the time of the health emergency, the hpprime development group had enough time to code a very good update =] =)

I'm mostly looking forward to the update to the triangle solver app which adds the ability to calculate the area by simply providing the length of the sides.
09-24-2020, 09:05 PM
(09-24-2020 07:16 PM)medwatt Wrote:  I'm mostly looking forward to the update to the triangle solver app which adds the ability to calculate the area by simply providing the length of the sides.

It is programmable calculator - simple Define will do the job.

You can calculate area of a triangle with known sides a=3, b=4 and c=5 by SSS(3,4,5).

Prime, 15C CE
09-26-2020, 10:06 AM
(09-24-2020 09:05 PM)chromos Wrote:  
(09-24-2020 07:16 PM)medwatt Wrote:  I'm mostly looking forward to the update to the triangle solver app which adds the ability to calculate the area by simply providing the length of the sides.

It is programmable calculator - simple Define will do the job.

You can calculate area of a triangle with known sides a=3, b=4 and c=5 by SSS(3,4,5).

Um.... This is already there?

Just put in 3 sides in the triangle solver application, or use the SSS command... ???

Triangle_Solver.SSS(3,4,5) To call from anywhere.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-27-2020, 03:47 PM
(09-26-2020 10:06 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(09-24-2020 09:05 PM)chromos Wrote:  It is programmable calculator - simple Define will do the job.

Um.... This is already there?
Just put in 3 sides in the triangle solver application, or use the SSS command... ???
Triangle_Solver.SSS(3,4,5) To call from anywhere.

The question was about the area of a triangle. At least on the firmware that I am using, neither the Triangle Solver App nor the builtin SSS function calculate area. It would be nice to add this feature. Seems like a natural thing to find when solving a triangle.
09-27-2020, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2020 05:48 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Oh dang. Reading fail.... :/

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-27-2020, 07:08 PM
(09-27-2020 05:48 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Oh dang. Reading fail.... :/

No problem. Just add that feature and we'll call it even. Big Grin
09-28-2020, 11:52 AM
Do you guys really want developers to spend their time improving the Triangle Solver?

BTW as soon as HP adds 'Calculate area' then there will be another request for Circumscribed circle, Centroid etc etc...

I'm not against imroving the calculator as much as possible, but there are many more opportunities than Triangle solver, don't you think?

My english isn't good enough, so I'll borrow post from another thread which summed it up quite aptly (in regards to Triangle app).

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-15...#pid132289

Prime, 15C CE
09-28-2020, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 08:07 PM by pinkman.)
They dedicated a key to calculate the surface of a square, another one for the surface of a rectangle. They can at least help us for the triangle! Smile

Thibault - not collector but in love with the few HP models I own - Also musician : http://walruspark.co
09-29-2020, 02:58 PM
(09-28-2020 11:52 AM)chromos Wrote:  Do you guys really want developers to spend their time improving the Triangle Solver?

Oh, I suppose we all have our areas of use. I teach Calculus, Precalculus (Trigonometry), Statistics, and Physics. I suppose if you look at my suggestions for new features over the years, they are usually connected to one of those topics. Solving triangles is something that we do in Trig.

I'm a hobbyist programmer myself, but I couldn't understand how Python would help sell calculators to the target education market until I learned that French and other European schools are really encouraging or even requiring Python. Now it makes sense why there has been the big push to get Python on the Prime.

One person's waste of time is another's useful tool.
09-29-2020, 04:11 PM
It's been a long time since I went to school (my university era was at '80), but at that time, we weren't teached maths by "push this button for answer". If this is the norm today, you can add 'Calculate area of triangle with pressing this button' to the Prime with minimum effort. The main strength of HP Prime is that the missing function can be added by anyone, especially in such simple case.

If I were HP Prime developer, and I saw a request like this, I would probably say to myself:
"We gave people an incredibly fast and responsive programmable calculator with 256 MB RAM, and their request is adding 'Calculate Triangle Area' function. WTF?" :-)

Prime, 15C CE
09-29-2020, 09:00 PM
(09-29-2020 04:11 PM)chromos Wrote:  If this is the norm today, you can add 'Calculate area of triangle with pressing this button' to the Prime with minimum effort. The main strength of HP Prime is that the missing function can be added by anyone, especially in such simple case.

Instead of pushing a button to calculate the area, it would be better if the triangle program automatically calculated the area and printed the results below the input boxes every time it finds a triangle solution. It's too much work to call a triangle area function.

Actually, I would like to see the instructions on the first line say something like "Enter 3 out of 6
values and clear the unknowns", and for the "Help" to say that the unknown values must be cleared and not just zeroed.
09-30-2020, 02:43 AM
I found the ability to quickly solve triangles to be quite useful in my job as a senior engineer. I'm sure most mechanical and structural engineers find it just as useful.
(I always had a triangle solve app on my 41CX.)

...And, I suspect if you tell a professional Surveyor that solving triangle area is only for school children, you'd be in immediate danger of a black eye, lol. Wink

I suspect there are many functions built into the Prime that most of us won't use.
At the same time, I suspect some of those very same functions are absolutely critical to others.

ENTER > =
09-30-2020, 05:24 AM
Maybe there's a misunderstanding in this whole triangle debate.

I don't think anyone here doubts that triangle calculations aren't important or even indispensable for someone.

Triangle calculations are not rocket science. If you need it, you have sufficient tool to program it yourself. And I don't think a professional Surveyor will be waiting for the HP solution which almost certainly will not suit his specific needs. :-)

Prime, 15C CE
09-30-2020, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2020 01:22 PM by Wes Loewer.)
I'm sure this issue of what to provide on a calculator and what to leave to the user to program is an issue that calculator designers wrestle with regularly. There is definitely a trend to add more built-in Wizards and Solvers and such to handle problems that could have been done by the user through other built-in functions or by programming.

When TI added the Stats Wizards to the 84+ and Nspire, it did not add any functionality, but my students' errors reduced significantly as a result. TI recently added a Diff Eq Solver Wizard to the Npsire. I think the Triangle Solver is similar. You could do it yourself, but the App uses a clean visual interface using system commands that are not available using PPL (UserPPL?).

I might not have thought to ask for such an App, but since it's there already, adding area seems like a natural suggestion.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)