No, manuals are for sissies!
I read part of the quick start guide
I read the full quick start guide
I read part of the user manual
I read the full user manual
I refer to the documentation now and then, but I have not read it
I use the on calc help
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Have you read the HP Prime user manual?
09-18-2018, 05:18 AM
Have you read the HP Prime user manual?
Hello,

Since we are having a discussion about user manuals in the "general" forum, I am creating this pool to see how many people have actually read the Prime user manual?

So, here is a pool!

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2018, 05:50 AM
RE: Have you read the HP Prime user manual?
(09-18-2018 05:18 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

Since we are having a discussion about user manuals in the "general" forum, I am creating this pool to see how many people have actually read the Prime user manual?

So, here is a pool!

Cyrille

I did read the Renee's HP Prime CAS manual <= isn't that official?
but
also the full xCas manual (English only)

Now I'm reading from here and there the very old HP 39/40 manual
09-18-2018, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 06:58 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
I voted that I read the full manual - I'm surprised how few have, as I assumed the forum would be biased towards that (and the quick start guide too, though I forgot to vote that).

Perhaps I should have added that I use the on-calculator help too, though not as often - I often find it difficult to find what I am looking for.

I think that is a fair summary, although some of the more mathematical procedures that I'm not using have only been read once and not assimilated - whereas the programming guide has been read more thoroughly. And the precautions about disposal of batteries etc. - only skimmed, nothing new.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-18-2018, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 07:07 AM by Didier Lachieze.)
I've not read the full manual from start to the end, however I've read different parts (not the ones related to the Apps I don't use) and I check it very often when looking for a way to do things. It's pretty extensive and having a pdf file allows to search and find things that I would not have noticed just by reading.

I also use a lot the calc on-line help, it is so practical to find info about a given function or command. A great kudos for this on-line Help !

I'm also checking occasionally the xcas doc to learn about cas commands that may not be described in the Prime manual.
09-18-2018, 08:59 AM
(09-18-2018 07:06 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  I've not read the full manual from start to the end

X

Why?
Aren't you supposed to learn it by heart?
Hmmmm....
Should I also memorize the page numbers and index - not just all the functionality?
09-18-2018, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 04:39 PM by chromos.)
I read the full user manual. Amongs others, it is best place to find things I have no idea they exist.
The quality of the manual also tells me how company is serious about their product and HP Prime is on positive side of this.

Prime, 15C CE
09-18-2018, 01:34 PM
Though the Help system is excellent, I refer to the manual regularly.

I would really like to have an Advanced User's Reference Manual (like the 50g) with detailed descriptions of all Home and CAS commands.

John
09-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Read both manuals cover-to-cover, though skimmed through areas I don't use.

I've only used on calculator help when I've realised the manual isn't updated to the latest features. Most recently to find out how ROTATE now works with GROB's.

Geoff
09-18-2018, 04:37 PM
(09-18-2018 01:34 PM)John Keith Wrote:  Though the Help system is excellent, I refer to the manual regularly.

I would really like to have an Advanced User's Reference Manual (like the 50g) with detailed descriptions of all Home and CAS commands.

John

HP Prime CAS
09-18-2018, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2018 03:02 PM by Anders.)
(09-18-2018 05:50 AM)CyberAngel Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 05:18 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

So, here is a pool!

Cyrille

I did read the Renee's HP Prime CAS manual <= isn't that official?
but
also the full xCas manual (English only)

Now I'm reading from here and there the very old HP 39/40 manual

Agree! Renee's HP Prime HP Prime CAS Manual
is extremely useful for CAS and would be benefit from becoming apart of the official documentation. Hence, it should be included in the poll Smile

The User Guide is also extremely important and calculator help does NOT replace this.
Unfortunately, the User Guide is
1) not covering all functions that are available - For instance Z transforms is still not in the guide and it's been there since the very beginning
2) could do with even more depth (how to) of more complex topics. again for instance and whole transform topic (Laplace, Z, Fourier...) is not covered at any great how to depth at all

Calculator Help is very useful when you are in the middle of it and know what you are looking for but if you do not you are out of luck and have to go searching the User Guide. So Help only adequate for straight forward help, e.g. When you know the function name and roughly what it does but need help with syntax, parameters and examples. But Help provides no depth, insights, e.g. how to code, do complex multi step problem solving etc.
09-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Hello,
I checked that I don’t read the full manual because I only read the chapters I am interested in. Also because I couldn’t retain the full manual.

The main issue with the manual are the commands issued with new firmware that are included at a later stage.

However the online help is very helpful.

Thanks

Giancarlo
09-18-2018, 06:59 PM
I read it, studied the parts of most interest for me (programming, CAS ...)
09-19-2018, 12:48 AM
I read the QSG but am only part way through the full user guide (most recent edition). Part of the problem is that it's not available in printed form -- manuals are so much more enjoyable when they come as books rather than PDF files. However, with software updates etc. then it does make a certain amount of sense not to have printed editions.

I tend to read the sections that are most relevant to solving a particular problem -- ie "can the Prime do this, and how do I do it?" rather than attempting to become an expert at everything.
09-19-2018, 01:04 AM
(09-18-2018 04:37 PM)CyberAngel Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 01:34 PM)John Keith Wrote:  Though the Help system is excellent, I refer to the manual regularly.

John

HP Prime CAS

What a wonderful manual!

Thanks a lot to Renee de Graeve for making it and Jean-Michel Lecointre for the English translation.
09-19-2018, 11:31 AM
(09-18-2018 04:37 PM)CyberAngel Wrote:  

John

HP Prime CAS

Yes, I have that, it is quite good. There are, however some inaccuracies such as references to zero-based arrays which the Prime doesn't use.

The idea that manuals cannot keep up with rapid changes in software is valid, and the improvements to the Prime are worth the wait for manuals.
09-19-2018, 02:28 PM
I read the whole and printed parts of the first one I got, more than 2 years ago, since that days I usually refer to the HELP, when I need to use some commena.
Arno
09-20-2018, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 07:45 PM by Komanguy.)
I've read the hp prime manual from the beginning to chapter 6 (introducing HP apps) and chapters about Stats and Finance.

It's more difficult to read the pdf than the printed one.

If I had got the printed version, maybe I would have read it entirely, like I did it for the hp 48S and 48G manuals. I was student at that time and needed a lot of maths for my studies.

Guy R. KOMAN, hp 50G, hp Prime Rev. C
09-20-2018, 08:49 PM
I didn't read the HP Prime user manual but I don't think that manuals are for sissies.
Au contraire I enjoy reading manuals in general.
It just happens that I'm not at all interested in the HP Prime.

Thanks for excluding me from this poll.

Cheers
Thomas
09-20-2018, 09:19 PM
I also used the on calc help in PDF format by Terje. http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-2796.html

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
09-21-2018, 12:23 AM
(09-20-2018 09:19 PM)pier4r Wrote:  I also used the on calc help in PDF format by Terje. http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-2796.html

Thank you for the link!
I just read half of it...saving the other half for later enjoyment

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)