Sharp PC-G850VS Rhinoceros
09-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Sharp PC-G850VS Rhinoceros
I thought it was rather amusing that when I tried online translation of the STAT menu, more than one translation site translated one of the words as Rhinoceros.

How does one compute the standard deviation of a rhino?

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2018, 04:12 PM
RE: Sharp PC-G850VS Rhinoceros
That's not the first time I've seen something mistranslated as 'rhinoceros', which in Japanese is 'sai' (サイ, or 犀).

Many years ago, I ran a machine translation on a list of songs along with their genres. One of them was listed as 'cyber rock', written as 'サイバーロック'. The translation interpreted this to mean 'rhinoceros bar lock', which sounds less like a genre of music, and more like a sweet BMX trick.

By any chance did this menu have anything to do with simulating die rolls? The word for 'dice' is 'saikoro' (さいころ) and may have been abbreviated, or simply mis-parsed by the translators.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-25-2018, 01:06 AM
(09-24-2018 04:12 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  That's not the first time I've seen something mistranslated as 'rhinoceros', which in Japanese is 'sai' (サイ, or 犀).

Many years ago, I ran a machine translation on a list of songs along with their genres. One of them was listed as 'cyber rock', written as 'サイバーロック'. The translation interpreted this to mean 'rhinoceros bar lock', which sounds less like a genre of music, and more like a sweet BMX trick.

By any chance did this menu have anything to do with simulating die rolls? The word for 'dice' is 'saikoro' (さいころ) and may have been abbreviated, or simply mis-parsed by the translators.

Here it is:

***** トウケイ フ' ンセ *****
1: 1~ンスワ トウケイ (x)
2: 2~ンスワ トウケイ (x,y)
ハ' ンコ' ウ ヲ エランテ' クタ' サイ.

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-25-2018, 01:45 AM
Ah, I think the translator was getting confused by the apostrophes. Normally those "dakuten" marks that look like quotes are part of the character, so it would be written as バンゴウヲエランデクダサイ (or 番号を選んで下さい on a machine with a more extensive character set), which means "please select a number". But it saw that dangling サイ at the end separated by the apostrophe, and went right to rhinoceros.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-25-2018, 06:42 AM
Hello,

I think that ください (in hiragana characters, pronounced "kudasai") is placed the end of a verb to intimate an order.
(Hiragana characters are a small set of characters used for japanese grammar, alongside chinese characters)

In katakana characters (small set of characters, generally used to phonetically transcribe foreign words), it would be クダサイ , also pronounced "kudasai"

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)