Looking for a rocker Switch for Busicom
10-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Looking for a rocker Switch for Busicom
Dear friends,
I have a nice Busicom 80 DC calculator in restoring process.
It works perfectly despite the horrible state it was.

The only part that is not working is a small rocker switch.

I am writing this post because, maybe, you have this part or you know where to buy it.

It is very small 24 mm long x 6 mm for the visible part of the switch. I enclose some pictures with measures.

Kind regards

[attachment=6471][attachment=6472][attachment=6473]
Ignacio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2018, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2018 10:24 AM by Zaphod.)
RE: Looking for a rocker Switch for Busicom
C&K may have something for you, that was my first thought.

A lot of the time switch styles don't go out of fashion (and hence don't go out of production... if there's a need there's always a supply), but I'm not sure you'll get one precisely this style, as they mostly now have built-in surrounds.

Anyway , take a look through this for a starter:

https://www.ckswitches.com/product-selection/rocker/

Find the part number first and then go googling for that, they do a long rocker version.

You have to study the datasheet carefully to check all the options, then build your part number, it's a painstaking process, something I have to do from time to time.

Other big players in rocker switches are ALPS, Arcoelectric, TE Connectivity and APEM maybe.

Last tip is look all over that old switch for any numbers or symbols that might hint as to manufacturer and/or type.
10-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Thanks a lot! it seems they are not the exact type...I shall follow searching.
I am also thinking about reconstructing the broken contacts area, which is the missing part.

Again:Thanks!!
Ignacio

(10-16-2018 10:22 AM)Zaphod Wrote:  C&K may have something for you, that was my first thought.

A lot of the time switch styles don't go out of fashion (and hence don't go out of production... if there's a need there's always a supply), but I'm not sure you'll get one precisely this style, as they mostly now have built-in surrounds.

Anyway , take a look through this for a starter:

https://www.ckswitches.com/product-selection/rocker/

Find the part number first and then go googling for that, they do a long rocker version.

You have to study the datasheet carefully to check all the options, then build your part number, it's a painstaking process, something I have to do from time to time.

Other big players in rocker switches are ALPS, Arcoelectric, TE Connectivity and APEM maybe.

Last tip is look all over that old switch for any numbers or symbols that might hint as to manufacturer and/or type.
10-16-2018, 04:18 PM
If you can't find a rocker switch of the correct dimensions, maybe you could find a slide switch that will fit. It depends how much you care about the little details!

— Ian Abbott
10-16-2018, 05:57 PM
One more alternative I use quite regularly for vintage (NLA) switches , is to use the existing switch to power a small relay that actually does the switching.
and if the original switch is a double pole all the better: parallel up both poles to make the relay switching more reliable.
You’d obviously need to source a supply from within the Calc to power the relay though.

Depends what this switch switches ...and how flaky it’s become.
11-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Hello!

I just happened to see this here on eBay.de: Item number 112389229277 and rememebered this thread from two weeks ago. There are no dimensions, but it does look very similar to me.

Hope it helps
Max
11-07-2018, 12:16 PM
(11-01-2018 08:53 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

I just happened to see this here on eBay.de: Item number 112389229277 and rememebered this thread from two weeks ago. There are no dimensions, but it does look very similar to me.

Hope it helps
Max

Thanks!!! It looks very much like it.
I have contacted them to get the dimensions...(some difficulties, I do not speak German)
In my first approach, I have recieved the following answer:

"Sehr geehrter Kunde,
Zwerg-Wippschalter ø2,6mm weiß
--
mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards"

I do not understand was does ø2,6mm refers to...and in the picture is black, not white...

Thanks again

Ignacio
11-07-2018, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2018 06:51 PM by Zaphod.)
(11-07-2018 12:16 PM)isanchez Wrote:  In my first approach, I have recieved the following answer:

"Sehr geehrter Kunde,
--

I do not understand was does ø2,6mm refers to...and in the picture is black, not white...

Could be the screw/fixings size

I suggest use the universal language of a annotated picture ..... i.e. draw a couple of dimension arrows with MSPaint (etc) and mm? next to each arrow on his picture, and post that picture to him

Or just message very simply:

Gesamtlänge ? (mm)
and
Gesamtbreite ? (mm)

Vielen Dank

(thats overal length and width)
11-08-2018, 10:32 AM
(11-07-2018 06:48 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  
(11-07-2018 12:16 PM)isanchez Wrote:  In my first approach, I have recieved the following answer:

"Sehr geehrter Kunde,
--

Could be the screw/fixings size

I suggest use the universal language of a annotated picture ..... i.e. draw a couple of dimension arrows with MSPaint (etc) and mm? next to each arrow on his picture, and post that picture to him

Or just message very simply:

Gesamtlänge ? (mm)
and
Gesamtbreite ? (mm)

Vielen Dank

(thats overal length and width)

Both done...thanks!!

Looking at the pictures and taking as reference some known measures, like the thickness of the base plate, I find this is exactly the same model as mine.

thanks for your kind collaboration!!

Kind regards

Ignacio
11-16-2018, 08:18 AM
HI,

I have recieved the rocker switch and it is perfect!!
Just a minor adaptation to fit it, but for sure it is the best option.

Just to say thanks to everybody for your help.

I shall publish pictures of the Busicom restored.

Regards

Ignacio

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)