HP 82242 IR module faulty?
10-24-2018, 07:37 PM
HP 82242 IR module faulty?
Hello!

I'm new to the forum, but a long-time HP user...

I've just received an HP 82242 IR module, plugged it into my HP 41CX and tried to print to an HP 82240B printer - the printer doesn't budge. I've tried XEQ PRX, XEQ PRTSTK, ...

Printer self test is okay and it's printing fine from my other HP calculators.

The IR module's self test XEQ TESTP shows "OK".

Is there a compatibility issue with the 82240B printer? Am I doing something wrong?

Any help highly appreciated!!

Chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2018, 11:50 PM
RE: HP 82242 IR module faulty?
My IR module works fine with the 82240A model. I was hoping that my iPhone camera would show the IR LED flashing while it was active, but it didn't. If you have an older video camera with a night mode that removes the IR filter from in front of the sensor, that might be a way to see if it is sending data.
10-25-2018, 12:05 AM
If you run FS? 55 and FS? 21, does the 41CX say YES to both? If 55 is no, then perhaps the 41CX is not communicating with the module properly. Presumably the printer ROM shows up in the CAT 2 catalog? Mine reports as PRINTER 3B.
10-25-2018, 01:41 AM
Power on your HP-82240A/B Thermal Printer, correctly align the printer with the HP-41 and try the following:
Code:
RESETP    // reset the printer
FS? 55    // should report YES
FS? 21    // should report YES
TESTP     // should report OK and your printer paper should advanced 2 lines
PRX       // should print X value on the thermal paper
PRSTK     // should print T, Z, Y & X values on the thermal paper

Be aware that if you are using a HP-82240A Thermal Printer you must execute the function MAPON to map the good character set for your HP-41.
The HP-82240B has the good character set, you must execute the MAPOFF if you have previously executed MAPON.

Sylvain
10-25-2018, 05:03 AM
Hello cruff and Sylvain

Thanks a lot for your support!

Here’s what I’ve done.

- Switched on printer HP-82240B and HP 41CX
- aligned them with 2 cm distance “IR window next to IR window”

- CAT 2: module (port 2) reports PRINTER 3B (no other module inserted)

- RESETP: no reaction
- FS? 55: YES
- FS? 21: YES
- TESTP: I notice the “0” and “1” flag indicators in the display turning on and off; no reaction from the printer; display shows OK
- PRX: no reaction from printer
- PRSTK: no reaction from printer (I notice a delay in the HP, though, before the display switches back on).

Any thoughts?

Thanks again - Chris
10-25-2018, 06:36 AM
Also try to plug the module in each of the 4 slots in your CX and test it.
Sometimes I had modules that worked in a slot and not in others.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-25-2018, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2018 08:20 PM by ChrisB.)
Massimo,

I tried different ports, and, finally, port 4 worked! I am really happy now :-)!

I noticed that the module does not register in every port. Maybe because I had to refurbish the battery PCB (corrosion). I am going to open the calculator, check the contacts and retighten the screws.

Thank you all for your great support, highly appreciated! - Chris
10-25-2018, 08:25 PM
(10-25-2018 08:18 PM)ChrisB Wrote:  I noticed that the module does not register in every port. Maybe because I had to refurbish the battery PCB (corrosion). I am going to open the calculator, check the contacts and retighten the screws.

You can buy a repair foil
https://www.thecalculatorstore.com/epage...s/Flex-PCB
10-25-2018, 08:30 PM
(10-25-2018 08:18 PM)ChrisB Wrote:  Massimo,

I tried different ports, and, finally, port 4 worked! I am really happy now :-)!

I noticed that the module does not register in every port. Maybe because I had to refurbish the battery PCB (corrosion). I am going to open the calculator, check the contacts and retighten the screws.

When you open it up, verify that the four posts that the assembly screws engage are in good shape and not cracked. If they are cracked or broken (very common), they need fixing, since the calculator requires good case compression to engage bus contacts. If those posts aren't good or made good, you will have all sorts of future operational trouble.

Good luck!
10-25-2018, 08:59 PM
(10-25-2018 08:18 PM)ChrisB Wrote:  Massimo,

Well done Chris!
Happy for you.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-26-2018, 06:06 AM
Quote:You can buy a repair foil
https://www.thecalculatorstore.com/epage...s/Flex-PCB

I bought exactly this repair foil to repair the corrosion. I bought it "preinstalled" in a 3D-printed holder some months ago.

Quote:When you open it up, verify that the four posts that the assembly screws engage are in good shape and not cracked. If they are cracked or broken (very common), they need fixing, since the calculator requires good case compression to engage bus contacts. If those posts aren't good or made good, you will have all sorts of future operational trouble.

I opened it very carfully, cleaned the contacts on the flexible PCB and the board, let it dry and closed it, holding the calculator tightly while tightening the screws. The posts are in great shape; I think the calculator has only been opened twice so far.

I am now running a configuration with the Advantage module in port 1 and the IR module in port 4. Working great! - When I plug in either module in the other ports, the connection is erratic - sometimes the modules do register, sometimes not, sometimes the calculator starts displaying very funny characters when switching it on, sometimes it refuses to turn on. Maybe the new flexible PCB has to "break in"?

Anyway, right now, it's working in this configuration and I'm very glad!

Thank you for all your valuable contributions - Chris

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)