Systems Analyst
48G+/58C/85B/PC1500A
TH-78A/DooGee S9
Focal & All Basic´s
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2018, 02:55 PM
RE: Place your bets on the value
It's amusing that the seller is apparently ignorant as the the rarity of that particular variant to hardcore collectors. If he added "Red Dot" into the title, he might wake up some more bidders not fully paying attention.

I'll stand back and watch the fun.
Find all posts by this user
11-07-2018, 03:13 PM
I've just bought a 41CV plus a shedload of accessories (card reader, cards, couple of modules, books, battery pack, adapter etc) from a guy in Sweden so I'll have to sit this one out. I'd have been interested otherwise!
11-07-2018, 06:52 PM
When did they add the 2 line display?
11-07-2018, 08:50 PM
(11-07-2018 06:52 PM)hewlpac Wrote:  When did they add the 2 line display?

Two-line display? The LED calculators never had a two-line display.

I think the LCD calculators first had a multiline display with the clamshell models: the business 18C in 1986 and the scientific 28C a year later.

By "multiline" I mean they had 3 or 4 lines (depending on whether soft keys were showing) of small, very low contrast digits, that had a fussy viewing angle.
11-07-2018, 08:55 PM
(11-07-2018 02:55 PM)burkhard Wrote:  It's amusing that the seller is apparently ignorant as the the rarity of that particular variant to hardcore collectors. If he added "Red Dot" into the title, he might wake up some more bidders not fully paying attention.

I'll stand back and watch the fun.

Often wasting time scanning seemingly unrelated items pays: I found my red dot that was advertised as a TI-35, and pictures were not well focused. This allowed me to have it (almost) for peanuts.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
11-07-2018, 08:57 PM
(11-07-2018 11:46 AM)hp41cx Wrote:  HP-35 Red dot
Awful auction pics. Much too dark and no frontal view. The red dot hole is hardly visible.
On the 19C the seller seems to have used a photo box or alike, so one can at least see what's on sale.

-- Ray
11-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a "red dot" and why are they more sought for than a "non-red-dot" 35?

(I'm not a serious collector, though I would like to own a 35, but for me those are priced way over my allowed spending for "old useless stuff" according to my wife)

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
11-07-2018, 10:00 PM
(11-07-2018 08:55 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I found my red dot that was advertised as a TI-35, and pictures were not well focused. This allowed me to have it (almost) for peanuts.
lucky man Smile
11-07-2018, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2018 11:08 PM by edryer.)
I was going to guess $300... but seems that was in the way way way too low ballpark. Seems these things are only going to increase in value.... must surely be considered investment material.

HP-28S (1988 US model), DM41X (2020)
11-07-2018, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2018 11:27 PM by Zaphod.)
(11-07-2018 09:50 PM)DA74254 Wrote:  Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a "red dot" and why are they more sought for than a "non-red-dot" 35?

Ahhh, is it a power on indicator hole to the right of the power switch ?

I didn't know there were two versions
11-08-2018, 01:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 02:00 AM by edryer.)
"a fast, extremely accurate electronic slide rule"

There are many stories (read quite a few, most recently in an excellent book on Calculator Algorithms "Inside your Calculator") where an HP representative (who used to attend College Maths meetings the time here around late 1972) would whip the 35 out of his pocket and do a simply calculation, something like y^x, and leave the assembled members in total shock... at a time slide rules could at best go to three significant figures (the good ones that is) and would require multiple steps taking a few minutes.

Truly a piece of history.

HP-28S (1988 US model), DM41X (2020)
11-08-2018, 02:18 AM
(11-07-2018 11:23 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  
(11-07-2018 09:50 PM)DA74254 Wrote:  Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a "red dot" and why are they more sought for than a "non-red-dot" 35?

Ahhh, is it a power on indicator hole to the right of the power switch ?

There are actually 4 production versions of the 35
1. Red dot no model number on front bump on the 5 key
2. No red dot still no model number on front, early ones of this version still have the bump on the 5 key.
3. Now says HEWLETT PACKARD 35 on the front
4. Legends on top 4 rows moulded into keys rather that printed above them.
11-08-2018, 06:03 AM
(11-08-2018 02:18 AM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  There are actually 4 production versions of the 35
2. No red dot still no model number on front, early ones of this version still have the bump on the 5 key.

Thanks for the definitive list -- I did wonder what the variants were.

Mine is the 2nd variant with the bump on the 5 key.
11-08-2018, 07:18 AM
(11-08-2018 02:18 AM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  
(11-07-2018 11:23 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  Ahhh, is it a power on indicator hole to the right of the power switch ?

There are actually 4 production versions of the 35

The four and two prototypes.

[Image: 35fam6.jpg]

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
11-08-2018, 08:34 AM
I have a version 3. I'm not really bothered about getting a red dot. I'm just happy to have one model of what's considered the first pocket electronic slide rule.

With patience and time one can get a good deal. I could never afford a 71B at the normal price, but now have 2 that I got at much less than normal price. Similarly an HP41C with printer in a very good condition.

Patience and time and hope and pray someone doesn't post it on a forum somewhere....

11-08-2018, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 10:15 AM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(11-08-2018 08:34 AM)BartDB Wrote:  I have a version 3. I'm not really bothered about getting a red dot.

The same with me. Once I have an otherwise complete collection (which for me means at least one specimen of each model number) I will start thinking about getting variants of each model... It would be nice to accidentally find an HP-35 red dot for small money but I will certainly never pay those 885$ for one (+ international shipping + import duties which would have resulted in well over 1000 Euros for me). I only paid that much money for a calculator once, but that was for an HP-01 in near mint condition.

Regards Max

NB: And still I want to congratulate the fotunate high bidder for this auction :-)
11-08-2018, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 02:44 PM by burkhard.)
(11-08-2018 10:14 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  NB: And still I want to congratulate the fotunate high bidder for this auction :-)

Wow, that was quite a good estate sale find for the seller! Lucky day for him!
Congratulations all around.

People do tend to complain about that auction site, but establishing a market, a way to link sellers and eager buyers, is what prevents items like this from winding up in the dumpster. Without such an efficient market, collectors would tend to occasionally find super-cheap deals at thrift shops and flea markets, but far more neat old stuff would just simply get trashed.
11-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Congratulations to the winner (I didn't even bid on the item).
The calculator seems to be modified as the gold plate, which is normally in the socket for the power cord is now in the battery socket. The calc must have been opened for this. Also the corners of the label don't seem to be intact anymore.
11-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Hello!

(11-08-2018 05:32 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  The calculator seems to be modified as the gold plate, which is normally in the socket for the power cord is now in the battery socket. The calc must have been opened for this.

I noticed that too and wondered why anybody would do that. Maybe the spring fell out and the seller (or a previous owner) didn't know where it belongs and fixed it at that place?

Maybe someone from here bought it and can enlighten us once he receives the calculator.

Regards
Max

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)