Constants that Aren't
New SI Units
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2018, 01:31 PM
RE: Constants that Aren't
You are just constanting wrong...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
11-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Sky News reports the decision with a helpful comparison to help the reader appreciate the size of the problem:
Quote:Although the mother of all kilograms has only been taken out of its protective case four times in the last century, it has lost atoms and therefore mass.
It amounts to just 20 billionths of a gram, about the weight of an eyelash, but those small changes are important to maintaining accuracy.

I never realised my eyelashes were so light. I wonder why I find it so hard to open my eyes first thing in the morning then? :-)
11-17-2018, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2018 09:08 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
(11-17-2018 03:02 PM)BruceH Wrote:  Sky News reports the decision with a helpful comparison to help the reader appreciate the size of the problem:
Quote:Although the mother of all kilograms has only been taken out of its protective case four times in the last century, it has lost atoms and therefore mass.
It amounts to just 20 billionths of a gram, about the weight of an eyelash, but those small changes are important to maintaining accuracy.

I never realised my eyelashes were so light. I wonder why I find it so hard to open my eyes first thing in the morning then? :-)

Ah, that might be because we are in the uk...where a billionth is a thousand times heavier than in the us (or used to be).
Edit: Oops, that should be lighter. Thanks grsbanks.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2018, 03:23 PM
(11-17-2018 03:14 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  
(11-17-2018 03:02 PM)BruceH Wrote:  Sky News reports the decision with a helpful comparison to help the reader appreciate the size of the problem:

Ah, that might be because we are in the uk...where a billionth is a thousand times heavier than in the us (or used to be).

I thought things were always bigger in the US ;-)
11-17-2018, 05:20 PM
(11-17-2018 03:14 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  Ah, that might be because we are in the uk...where a billionth is a thousand times heavier than in the us (or used to be).

Lighter, not heavier Smile

A UK billionth is 10^-12 whereas a US billionth is 10^-9
11-21-2018, 07:02 PM
https://xkcd.com/2073/

And set pi = 3.
11-22-2018, 05:53 AM
And variables that don’t?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)