HP Ultimate calculator
12-18-2018, 12:15 PM
HP Ultimate calculator
I'm a hp calculators fan for more than 25 years. My first calculator was a hp48s that gave me great satisfaction. Then I was collecting and using many others. However, I always came up with the idea of ​​how the perfect calculator would be for all users (I am an engineer but I was a student, and I will be a teacher!).

I am not active in this type of forums, but in this particular I usually browse every week in search of the news (among others), of a new calculator hp.

I believe and I think that many will agree that the most powerful calculator that currently exists is HP Prime, but sometimes it is impractical for daily use (in functionality and size). On the other hand, the DM42 is the calculator that many have wanted for years, but there is also a point where we would like more.

After this introduction, to read and read about HP Prime, about DM42 (I am fortunate to have both), and lately about WP43S, to use them, to consider the resources and technological advances of this era, and finally to be convinced that the end of HP calculators is near, the following simple question has come up:

"How complicated it would be to gather in a single device a calculator with the power of HP prime that contains several emulations (or boots) to convert it into a WP43s for example, or a calculator with limitations for students (for example a teacher could manage them remotely and limit them), and all this in the body and with the quality of materials of an HP35S?

I think many of us would like something like that, because hp does not dare to take something like that ... HP Ultimate Calculator Wink

PD: Sorry for my english
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2018, 12:46 PM
RE: HP Ultimate calculator
I wouldn't mind an HP Prime with the RPN mode in the form of either HP 50g, HP 42S, or HP 41C.

The program style could either by RPL like the 48G family or an enhanced RPN keystroke style in the form of HP 42S and HP 41C.

For a more "restricted" calculator, I would do a second machine, possibly bring back the HP 35S or even the HP 11C or HP 10C?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2018, 02:23 PM
(12-18-2018 12:15 PM)sans Wrote:  ... "How complicated it would be to gather in a single device a calculator with the power of HP prime that contains several emulations (or boots) to convert it into a WP43s for example, or a calculator with limitations for students (for example a teacher could manage them remotely and limit them), and all this in the body and with the quality of materials of an HP35S?

The unfortunate reality is that students often "forget" what is taught, in a very short time, exceptions of course. With that in mind, given readily available on-line technology, it might be reasonable to ask, "how necessary is it to teach much more than rudimentary concepts?" Tools are so close to the fingertips of all but the unconcerned, so capable of doing all that is needed, (virtually all STEM curriculum), you might ask yourself, "why bother?" Maybe a deeper learning philosophy, that teaches how to locate information, and work with these tools, would be more productive, educationally, and for society at large?

For example, I often work with systems of linear equations. I have a variety of ways to facilitate this, such that I often don't even think about the fundamental process anymore; instead, obtain results and utilize them quickly.

Maybe the hand held device really needed is one that can interpret an objective, launch an appropriate on line solver, taking inputs, and providing processed solutions, without much intermediate depth of knowledge on behalf of the "student" seeking answers?
12-18-2018, 02:27 PM
(12-18-2018 12:46 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I wouldn't mind an HP Prime with the RPN mode in the form of either HP 50g, HP 42S, or HP 41C.

The program style could either by RPL like the 48G family or an enhanced RPN keystroke style in the form of HP 42S and HP 41C.

That would be really great, given how anemic the RPN mode is currently. Given the sophistication of PPL, I'll bet it would be possible to write something that at least has feature parity (if not keystroke/program compatibility) with the 32SII and/or 15C.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-19-2018, 08:56 AM
(12-18-2018 12:46 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I wouldn't mind an HP Prime with the RPN mode in the form of either HP 50g, HP 42S, or HP 41C.

For a more "restricted" calculator, I would do a second machine, possibly bring back the HP 35S or even the HP 11C or HP 10C?

Why not restrict it from the device itself? like computers or mobile phones
12-19-2018, 09:52 PM
(12-18-2018 12:46 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  For a more "restricted" calculator, I would do a second machine, possibly bring back the HP 35S […]

Bring back? Has it been discontinued?

Do I need to buy one? Smile

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
12-20-2018, 03:35 PM
The ultimate calculator will be an hp prime with:
- harware functions Keys
- RPL programming
- ASM programming (will be very usefull for electronical and computer science students and engineers)

Guy R. KOMAN, hp 50G, hp Prime Rev. C

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)