HHP Card reader module cover?
12-22-2018, 10:41 PM
HHP Card reader module cover?
Hi all,

I bought a 71B with battery leakage damage when it got cheap enough (This) and am quite happy with it for the $75 I offered, the seller was originally asking $1100. I figured worst case I would get an HP-IL module out of it.

It turns out the port RAM is an HHP 96k which seems to be working fine but is missing the cover. Does anyone have a spare cover or know of a 3d model for it? I would happily trade the untested HP 71B with three 4k modules for a replacement cover.

I guess I could use the FRAM cover but would probably need to grind off some of it for clearance. I thought I read somewhere that someone was offering the FRAM cover with custom text, but can't find it anywhere now.

In the auction second picture it looked like the front ports had something in them but there was no way to tell what. Unfortunately three of them were 4k modules but the fourth one, score, a 5061-7234 Forth module with debugger! I have wanted one for ages but could never justify the price.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2018, 11:20 PM
RE: HHP Card reader module cover?
Nice! A 96K HHP CR RAM module and a F/A ROM module for $75.

This is a strong contender for deal of the month, even if you toss the 71B out. Wink Which would seem to be the best choice, but you might open it up to see if the zebra wire is intact, (though prob. not due to the horrible battery spill damage) as this can be used to save other damaged '71s.

I noticed there were modules in all 4 ports, but the seller would not answer what they were; I assumed they were all 4K RAM modules. I guess I was 3/4 right, but that miss on 4/4 was by a wide margin.

FYI, the Debugger is not in the module, it is RAM-based, not ROM. HP changed the p/n when they bundled them together in the same box (F/A in the ROM module and Debugger on diskette, plus both manuals).

The HHP modules do not have a cover (like FRAM) but rather have a 2-part plastic case that's wraps around the module with only a small slot for the board edge that extends outside the case with the pin sockets. Sorry, I don't have an extra case.

--Bob Prosperi
12-22-2018, 11:44 PM
(12-22-2018 10:41 PM)Ken S Wrote:  Hi all,

I bought a 71B with battery leakage damage when it got cheap enough (This) and am quite happy with it for the $75 I offered, the seller was originally asking $1100. I figured worst case I would get an HP-IL module out of it.

It turns out the port RAM is an HHP 96k which seems to be working fine but is missing the cover. Does anyone have a spare cover or know of a 3d model for it? I would happily trade the untested HP 71B with three 4k modules for a replacement cover.

I guess I could use the FRAM cover but would probably need to grind off some of it for clearance. I thought I read somewhere that someone was offering the FRAM cover with custom text, but can't find it anywhere now.

In the auction second picture it looked like the front ports had something in them but there was no way to tell what. Unfortunately three of them were 4k modules but the fourth one, score, a 5061-7234 Forth module with debugger! I have wanted one for ages but could never justify the price.

If you do decide to scrap the 71B I would be interested in purchasing it. I am lookin for a front half for a 71B and from the pictures it would seem that there is a pretty good chance that the front half is ok. It looks like it was upright when it leaked so there is also a good chance the back card is damaged.
Paul.
12-23-2018, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2018 12:50 AM by Dave Frederickson.)
(12-22-2018 10:41 PM)Ken S Wrote:  I guess I could use the FRAM cover but would probably need to grind off some of it for clearance. I thought I read somewhere that someone was offering the FRAM cover with custom text, but can't find it anywhere now.

The customizable FRAM71 bezel was removed from Shapeways when they removed clear acrylic plastic as a material. I've added it back, temporarily, if you're still interested in pursuing that path. I've made it available in black but just holler if you'd like a different color or perhaps the professional plastic.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/hpparts

Additionally, the 96k module is comprised of three 32k modules, but by moving a single jumper it can be converted into a 32k and 64k module.

Dave
12-23-2018, 01:21 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2018 01:43 AM by Ken S.)
(12-22-2018 11:20 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Nice! A 96K HHP CR RAM module and a F/A ROM module for $75.

This is a strong contender for deal of the month, even if you toss the 71B out. Wink Which would seem to be the best choice, but you might open it up to see if the zebra wire is intact, (though prob. not due to the horrible battery spill damage) as this can be used to save other damaged '71s.

I noticed there were modules in all 4 ports, but the seller would not answer what they were; I assumed they were all 4K RAM modules. I guess I was 3/4 right, but that miss on 4/4 was by a wide margin.

FYI, the Debugger is not in the module, it is RAM-based, not ROM. HP changed the p/n when they bundled them together in the same box (F/A in the ROM module and Debugger on diskette, plus both manuals).

The HHP modules do not have a cover (like FRAM) but rather have a 2-part plastic case that's wraps around the module with only a small slot for the board edge that extends outside the case with the pin sockets. Sorry, I don't have an extra case.

Thanks for the info on the Forth module Bob. I am more knowledgable about the 41 than the 71, just started to add them to my collection a couple of years ago.

(12-22-2018 11:44 PM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  If you do decide to scrap the 71B I would be interested in purchasing it. I am lookin for a front half for a 71B and from the pictures it would seem that there is a pretty good chance that the front half is ok. It looks like it was upright when it leaked so there is also a good chance the back card is damaged.
Paul.

Hi Paul, if you want it and live in the US (edit, I obviously wasn't paying attention to your user name when I wrote that, I doubt shipping to Canada would be much more) you can have it for $10 to cover shipping, it will be just the bare 71b, I will keep all the modules and covers. I should warn you there are pry marks along the edges like someone tried to open it not knowing it is screwed shut. They aren't awful, little nibbles here and there, but it will never be part of a pristine 71. PM me if you want it.

(12-23-2018 12:46 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(12-22-2018 10:41 PM)Ken S Wrote:  I guess I could use the FRAM cover but would probably need to grind off some of it for clearance. I thought I read somewhere that someone was offering the FRAM cover with custom text, but can't find it anywhere now.

The customizable FRAM71 bezel was removed from Shapeways when they removed clear acrylic plastic as a material. I've added it back, temporarily, if you're still interested in pursuing that path. I've made it available in black but just holler if you'd like a different color or perhaps the professional plastic.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/hpparts

Additionally, the 96k module is comprised of three 32k modules, but by moving a single jumper it can be converted into a 32k and 64k module.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I appreciate you putting that up. Would it be possible to just have it blank without the "FRAM71" text? Otherwise maybe have "96k" after the FRAM71 text.

I take it the main advantage of breaking it into a 32k and 64k module is for loading rom images on it?
12-23-2018, 01:47 AM
(12-23-2018 01:21 AM)Ken S Wrote:  I take it the main advantage of breaking it into a 32k and 64k module is for loading rom images on it?

Exactly. A 64K ROM cannot be loaded into 2 x 32K RAM modules, it requires a true 64K RAM module (the CMT 64K Front Port modules are 2 x 32K internally). There aren't too many 64K ROM images, but soft-FORTH based applications are (e.g. the C71 RPN Calculator program here) and also the HP Data Acquisition Pac. And you can also create a custom 64K ROM image and load it here as well (in an IRAM).

I don't believe any of the CMT or HHP 64K CR Port RAM modules are true 64K* (instead they are 2 x 32K) so modding the 96K is your best bet if you want that.

* I don't have any 64K CR Port modules, so am not 100% sure

--Bob Prosperi
12-23-2018, 01:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2018 01:57 AM by Dave Frederickson.)
(12-23-2018 01:21 AM)Ken S Wrote:  Thanks Dave, I appreciate you putting that up. Would it be possible to just have it blank without the "FRAM71" text? Otherwise maybe have "96k" after the FRAM71 text.

Hi Ken,

Sorry, I can't remove the text, but it could be sanded off.

Dave
12-23-2018, 02:18 AM
(12-23-2018 01:56 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(12-23-2018 01:21 AM)Ken S Wrote:  Thanks Dave, I appreciate you putting that up. Would it be possible to just have it blank without the "FRAM71" text? Otherwise maybe have "96k" after the FRAM71 text.

Hi Ken,

Sorry, I can't remove the text, but it could be sanded off.

Dave

Not a problem, can text be added so it could read FRAM71-96k ?

If not no big deal, just need to cover the top of the module so one sneeze doesn't wipe it out.
12-23-2018, 05:21 PM
Dave,

Thanks for your help on this but I have found a case for the memory and will go that route. I would love a FRAM71 but don't like the idea of using the cover if I don't actually have one.

Best Regards,

Ken

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)