Newbie Question
04-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Newbie Question
I just received my new HP Prime today and am excited to use it. Unfortunately, the battery wasn't charged so I am currently recharging it. Not a big deal. I know that I will have questions for this forums in the future, but now, a simple question. Is there a way to adjust the brightness of the display?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2014, 06:59 PM
RE: Newbie Question
hold ON and press + or -

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-30-2014, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2014 07:22 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(04-30-2014 06:50 PM)actuary32174 Wrote:  Is there a way to adjust the brightness of the display?

Please see the very first section in the quickstart guide that came with your calculator where it first instructs you to charge it, and then immediately following that it reads:

Quote:Turning On and Off
To turn the calculator on, press ON. To turn it off, press SHIFT OFF (Off).
To adjust the brightness of the screen, press and hold ON and then press either + or - repeatedly. Pressing + increases
the brightness; pressing - decreases it.

There is a lot of information collected in that book. Please don't waste it. Smile

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Nobody reads anything anymore, some people complains about not including full fledged manuals. The reality is: It really should come all in virtual form, in the calculator, maybe even gamified as a tutorial. (related comparison: In Windows 8, the first intro explains very briefly about the hot corners and still everyone complains about that is not intuitive... sigh)

04-30-2014, 10:53 PM
An operator manual is important, but a lot of us like to be able to work with equipment more intuitively. Being able to perform at least basic tasks without the manual is a sign of good HMI programming. Conversely, needing a manual for simple things is suggestive that the human interface could be improved.

My computer keyboard uses iconic legends to describe alternate function key behavior, for example. Those visual cues are helpful for using the keyboard more efficiently.

I think the hp Prime would benefit by having brightness cues, and possibly 'terminal screen' cues (on-T) as part of the interface legend. The keyboard legend color contrast could also be improved, but there's probably near consensus on that!

-Dale-
05-01-2014, 12:31 AM
(04-30-2014 10:53 PM)DrD Wrote:  I think the hp Prime would benefit by having brightness cues..

Calculators have been using ON +/- since the beginning of time to increase/decrease contrast on non-backlit LCD displays, so I find it completely intuitive and logical for this keystroke sequence to be used for the increase/decrease of brightness on backlit displays. Remember, this is a calculator, not a computer.
05-01-2014, 02:03 AM
(05-01-2014 12:31 AM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  
(04-30-2014 10:53 PM)DrD Wrote:  I think the hp Prime would benefit by having brightness cues..

Calculators have been using ON +/- since the beginning of time to increase/decrease contrast on non-backlit LCD displays, so I find it completely intuitive and logical for this keystroke sequence to be used for the increase/decrease of brightness on backlit displays. Remember, this is a calculator, not a computer.

The brightness icon in the keyboard is missing, that makes it less intuitive. In the other hand... that means that the very important undo/redo that I always miss could be added without having the icon on the keyboard Big Grin

05-01-2014, 07:37 AM
(04-30-2014 07:21 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  There is a lot of information collected in that book. Please don't waste it. Smile

Elsewhere I remember you saying most Prime buyers won't even read the manual. How right you were Wink

With all that RAM and FLASH maybe the first thing that happens when the device gets turned on for the first time is a walkthrough like Palm used to do on their devices after a cold start?

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
05-01-2014, 07:47 AM
(05-01-2014 12:31 AM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  

For a seasoned, veteran, calculator user, such as you self-describe many functions are probably second-nature. For the first time user, and possibly complete stranger to this particular technology, the legends on the interface are the most important guide. Also, for someone who very infrequently uses a product, this is could be very important.

Users will just have to adapt, the keyboard legends may wear out, but they aren't otherwise going to change by themselves!
05-01-2014, 12:32 PM
ON and +/- was the way to adjust the contrast in my HP48 and HP49, so in my eyes there isn't even a surprise about that function.

Wishing to get more documents and asking for more and better manuals or hands on training is not about such basics. That is spoken for me, but don't mix up both needs.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)